Bears Tie Dartmouth, 2-2, in 10th Overtime Game of Season

Bears Tie Dartmouth, 2-2, in 10th Overtime Game of Season

Feb. 4, 2006

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - The Brown men's ice hockey team (3-14-6, 2-10-4) played its school-record 10th overtime game of the season as Dartmouth (11-10-2, 9-5-2) scored with just 55 seconds left in regulation to come back from a 2-1 deficit in an ECAC Hockey League and Ivy League contest on Saturday evening at Meehan Auditorium.

Brown dominated the flow of the game in the first seven minutes, while outshooting Dartmouth 7-0 during that span. The Big Green finally took their first shot on net with just over 13:00 remaining in the period. The Bears had two chances to score the first goal of the game, both off the stick of sophomore Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI).

His first came with 12:07 left when he had Dartmouth's Mike Devine beat on a breakaway, but the puck just got ahead of him before he could get a shot off. Less than three minutes later, with 9:59 left, Prough intercepted a Dartmouth clearing attempt in the Dartmouth zone and fired a shot off that beat Devine, but the puck ricocheted off the cross-bar.

The Bears finally got on the board at 17:30 of the period when senior Cory Caouette (Devon, ALB), who scored the only Brown goal last night, tipped in a shot from sophomore Paul Baier (North Kingstown, RI). Junior Antonin Roux (Danville, QUE) also earned an assist on the goal.

Brown held onto the 1-0 lead for nearly the entire second period, but Nick Johnson finally solved freshman Mark Sibbald (Ridgeway, ONT) at 19:26 with the Big Green skating on the power-play. It was the first goal allowed by Sibbald in 00:00 as he had not allowed a goal in two relief appearances.

Sophomore Chris Poli (Medfield, MA) gave the Bears a 2-1 lead at 8:04 of the third period when he one-timed the puck into the back of the net off a feed from Prough. Brown held onto the lead forcing Dartmouth to pull Devine for the extra attacker with 1:20 left in regulation.

With the Bears less than a minute away from earning their first ECAC Hockey League win since November 12th, David Jones tied the game for the Big Green, tipping in a shot from Tanner Glass.

Jones' goal sent the game into overtime, Brown's 10th of the season and eighth in the past 11 games. The Bears dominated overtime, outshooting Dartmouth, 4-2, but couldn't net the game-winning goal.

In net for Brown, Sibbald, making his first career start, recorded a career-high 34 saves, while Devine stopped 35 shots in net for Dartmouth. Brown continues action next weekend when it makes the first of two straight trips to New York, facing off against Union on Friday night at 7:00 p.m.

DARTMOUTH 0 1 1 0 2
BROWN 1 0 1 0 2

First Period - B, Cory Caouette (Paul Baier, Antonin Roux), 17:30. PPG. Penalties - D, 4-8; B, 4-8.

Second Period - D, Nick Johnson (Jarrett Sampson), 19:25, PPG. Penalties - D, 1-2; B, 3-6.

Third Period - B, Chris Poli (Jeff Prough), 8:04; D, David Jones (J.T. Wyman, Tanner Glass), 19:05, EX. Penalties - D, 3-6; B, 3-6.

Overtime - No Scoring. Penalties - D, 0-0; B, 0-0.

D, Devine (65:00) - 13-8-10-4 - 35; B, Sibbald (65:00) -7-13-12-2 - 34