Bears Record First Sweep of the Season; Defeat Dartmouth, 4-3

Bears Record First Sweep of the Season; Defeat Dartmouth, 4-3

Feb. 2, 2008

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Juniors Eric Slais (Fenton, MO) and Ryan Garbutt (Winnipeg, MAN) each had a goal and an assist to lead the Brown men's ice hockey team (3-14-4, 3-8-3) to a 4-3 win over Dartmouth (8-11-2, 3-10-1) on Saturday afternoon at Meehan Auditorium. The win gives Brown nine points on the season, as the Bears leapfrogged over the Big Green in the standings.

After getting defeated last night at Yale, 6-3, the Dartmouth came into the game tied for last in ECAC Hockey with the Bears, who defeated Harvard, 4-2. The Big Green wasted little time in taking a 1-0 lead when J.T. Wyman converted on Dartmouth's first power play chance of the game at 5:41. After collecting the puck from Nick Johnson, he fired a shot from the top of the left face-off circle that beat sophomore Dan Rosen (Syosset, NY) to the far corner.

However, senior Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) tied the game at 11:54 with his fourth goal of the year, and first in 13 games since scoring at Clarkson on November 17th. Senior David Robertson (Saunderstown, RI), who scored two goals last night against Harvard, fired a shot from the center of the blueline that Prough tipped past Mike Devine as the two teams headed into the first break, knotted at one.

Sophomore Sean McMonagle (Oakville, ONT) gave Brown its first lead of the afternoon just 1:14 into the second period when he picked up a rebound of an Aaron Volpatti (Revelstoke, BC) on the edge of the crease, and beat Devine with a back-hander over Devine's left shoulder just before the net came off.

Junior Mike Stuart (Rome, NY) was assessed the only two penalties of the period, which happened to be a five-minute major for hitting from behind and a 10-minute misconduct at 7:01, giving Dartmouth a five-minute power play chance. The Big Green tied the game on that power play, at 9:39, when Evan Stephens connected with Nick Johnson at the right edge of the crease and Johnson deflected the puck past Rosen.

Less than three minutes later, at 12:38, Brown regained the one-goal lead on Slais' first goal of the year. Garbutt carried the puck into the zone and got a shot off that Devine saved at the top of the crease. Slais crashed the net and pushed the rebound in for his first goal of the season.

Garbutt then gave Brown a two-goal lead, 4-2, with his fifth goal of the season, scoring from the center of the slot, 2:44 into the period. Dartmouth got one back with 6:12 remaining in the game when Andrew Owsiak scored his first of the season.

The Bears held on for the win in the final minutes with the Big Green net vacated, as they picked up their first weekend sweep of the season.

Rosen finished with 36 saves, with 14 in the third period, including one in the final minute of play where he made a save on a high shot that forced him to wave his stick over his head and bat the puck away. Devine made 25 saves for the Big Green as Brown was outshot, 39-29. The Bears return to action next weekend when they travel to Princeton for a 7:00 p.m. game on Friday night.

DARTMOUTH 1 1 1 x - 3
BROWN 1 2 1 x - 4

First period - D, Wyman (Johnson, Grecu), PP, 5:41; B, Prough (Robertson, Stuart), 11:54. Penalties - D, 3-6; B, 2-4.
Second period - B, McMonagle (Volpatti), 1:14; D, Johnson (Stephens, Grecu), PP, 9:39; B, Slais (Garbutt, Hurley), 12:38. Penalties - D, 0-0; B, 2-15.
Third Period - B, Garbutt (Poli, Slais), 2:44; D, Owsiak (Stephens), 13:48. Penalties - D, 1-2; B, 1-2.

D, Mike Devine (58:42), 12-7-6-x - 25; B, Dan Rosen (60:00), 10-12-14-x - 36.