Bears Drop Second Straight Game, Fall to RPI, 4-3

Bears Drop Second Straight Game, Fall to RPI, 4-3

Jan. 27, 2007

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Junior Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT) tied the game at 3-3 just 1:32 into the third period, but RPI (8-11-7, 4-6-4) netted what would prove to be the game-winner at 9:09 to earn a 4-3 win over the Brown men's ice hockey team (8-9-4, 4-8-2) in an ECAC Hockey League Contest Saturday evening at Meehan Auditorium. The Bears now find themselves in last place in the 12-team league with eight more games to play before the playoffs begin the first weekend in March.

After falling to Union on Friday night, Brown grabbed a 1-0 lead midway through the first period on a give-and-go with sophomore Eric Slais (Fenton, MO) and junior Brian McNary (Edmonton, ALB). Senior Brian Ihnacak (Toronto, ONT) started the play with a pass to Slais along the left boards. As McNary was racing through the slot, Slais fed his linemate with a centering pass and McNary had an easy tap-in for the 1-0 Brown lead at 9:39 of the first.

RPI tied the game just 30 seconds into the second period, capitalizing on a turnover in Brown's offensive end, as Jonathan Ornelas knocked in the rebound of an Oren Eizenman shot. Ornelas then gave the Engineers a 2-1 lead when he knocked the puck past freshman Dan Rosen (Syosset, NY) on a power-play at 6:31. Just three minutes later, at 9:44, Andrei Uryadov beat Rosen with a low-angle shot from the side of the right face-off circle that snuck into the back of the net where the cross-bar and post meet, near-side.

Before the end of the period, freshman Aaron Volpatti (Revelstoke, BC) got one back for the Bears. After collecting a loose puck along the right boards, Volpatti beat an RPI defenseman, before walking in on Mathias Lange all alone and firing his shot top-shelf, glove-side at 14:26.

The Bears opened the third period with 1:38 remaining on a four-on-three power-play. RPI killed the four-on-three, but after Brown's player was released, Bruno still had a five-on-three advantage for 39 seconds. Sophomore Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) won a face-off to Lange's left back to junior Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI), who was just able to get his stick on the puck and deflect it back to junior David Robertson (Saunderstown, RI). Robertson had room to shoot, but chose to pass the puck back over to Hurley, whose one-timer from the face-off circle beat Lange through the five-hole at 1:32.

Brown could not hold on to the tie though, as Matt Angers-Goulet knocked in RPI's second power-play goal after a scramble in front of Rosen at 9:09 of the third to lift the Engineers to the victory.

The Bears pulled Rosen, who finished with 20 saves, with 56 seconds left for the extra attacker, but couldn't net the equalizer. Lange made 25 saves for RPI as Brown held a 28-24 advantage in shots.

Bruno will look to rebound next weekend as they begin the final stretch with a pair of league games at home against Quinnipiac and Princeton.