Bears Spot Union 2-0 Lead after Five Minutes and Can't Recover, Falling 5-3

Bears Spot Union 2-0 Lead after Five Minutes and Can't Recover, Falling 5-3

Jan. 26, 2007

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Junior David Robertson (North Kingstown, RI) scored his first goal in 41 games to bring the Bears to within 3-2 just 18 seconds into the third period, but Union (12-11-2, 5-8-0) outscored the Brown men's ice hockey team (8-8-4, 4-7-2), 2-1, the rest of the way to earn a 5-3 win over the Bears in an ECAC Hockey League contest Friday evening at Meehan Auditorium. Brown's loss combined with RPI's win at Yale and Harvard's loss at St. Lawrence creates a four-way tie for last place between the Bears, the Engineers, the Crimson, and the Dutchmen in the 12-team league. Brown and RPI will meet tomorrow night in a 7:00 p.m. game at Meehan.

The Bears started off slow, and before they had even taken a shot on net, Union already had a 2-0 lead, scoring at 2:38 and again at 5:40. However, junior leading scorer Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) scored on one of just four Brown shots in the period on a power-play with 2:45 remaining. Junior Brian McNary (Edmonton, ALB) was stationed at the top of the right face-off circle and he spotted Prough alone in front of the net. Prough one-timed the puck into the back of the net, scoring his 11th of the season.

The Dutchmen regained their two-goal lead, scoring the only goal of the second period on a power-play. Josh Coyle beat freshman Dan Rosen (Syosset, NY), who made three saves while playing with Robertson's stick after he lost his earlier in the Union advantage, with a high shot that knocked Rosen's water bottle off the top of the net.

The Bears opened the third period with a four-on-three advantage and just 18 seconds in, Robertson took a pass from junior Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT), waited for Justin Mrazek to drop, and deflected his shot off of Mrazek's shoulder and into the back of the net to bring Brown to within 3-2.

However, the Dutchmen got one back, which would prove to be the game-winner, scoring on the power-play for the third time, at 4:14.

Freshman Jeremy Russell (St. Albert, ALB) again brought the Bears to within one, firing a slap shot from the left point through the five-hole at 13:36, but Union added an empty-netter with 50 seconds remaining for the 5-3 final.

Rosen finished with 28 saves, including 13 in the second period. Brown will look to rebound tomorrow evening at home against RPI.