Two Third-Period Goals Give Cornell 4-1 Victory over Bears

Two Third-Period Goals Give Cornell 4-1 Victory over Bears

Jan. 25, 2008

Box Score

ITHACA, NY - Trailing, 2-0, after the first period, junior Matt Vokes' (Auburn, MA) second goal of the season made it a one-goal game, but Cornell (9-7-2, 7-4-0) lit the lamp twice in the final 20 minutes to earn a 4-1 victory over the Brown men's ice hockey team (1-13-4, 1-7-3 ECAC), defeating the Bears by the same score as they did earlier this season in Providence.

Skating on its first power play of the night, Raymond Sawada lifted the puck into a partially open net from the bottom of the left face-off circle to give Cornell a 1-0 lead at 14:40 and with just 17 seconds left on the man-advantage.

Michael Kennedy increased the Big Red's lead to 2-0 with 1:34 left in the period, scoring off assists from Sawada and Topher Scott, who also assisted the first goal.

Brown ended up outshooting its hosts, 10-8, in the second period, while committing no penalties to Cornell's three. Junior Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) closed the gap to 2-1 with his second goal of the year at 14:55. Junior Ryan Garbutt (Winnipeg, MAN) carried the puck into the zone along the left wing, and after making a nice move to get around his defenseman, he fired a low shot that Ben Scrivens saved. However, Vokes crashed the net and he redirected the puck past the goalie, lighting the lamp just before Scrivens knocked the net off.

Senior Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT) also earned an assist on the goal and now needs one more to join classmate Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) among Brown's 50-assist club. Only eight other classes have had at least two players on the list, including the class of 1965 and the class of 1993, which both had three players graduate with at least 50 assists.

The Big Red regained the two-goal lead just 3:41 into the third period, scoring on another power play. Blake Gallagher fired a low-angle shot from between the goal-line and the bottom of the right face-off circle that junior Mark Sibbald (Ridgeway, ONT) saved. However, the puck trickled behind him, and into the back of the net for the 3-1 Cornell lead.

Joe Devin scored on a breakaway with 2:54 remaining for the 4-1 final as Brown's winless skid extended to 14 games (0-12-2). The Bears did go up on the power play with 2:01 left, but were unable to score, finishing the night 0-6 on the man-advantage, including a five-on-three advantage for nearly 75 seconds midway through the second period. On the contrary, Cornell finished the night with two power-play goals in three chances.

Sibbald finished with 30 saves, while Scrivens made 25 stops for the Big Red. Brown will look to turn the corner tomorrow night when it travels to Hamilton to face Colgate, the only team the Bears have defeated this season, in a 7:00 p.m. contest.

BROWN 0 1 0 x - 1
CORNELL 2 0 2 x - 4

First period - C, Sawada (Devin, Scott), PP, 14:40; C, Kennedy (Sawada, Scott), 18:26. Penalties - B, 3-6; C, 3-6.
Second period - B, Vokes (Garbutt, Hurley), 14:55. Penalties - C, 3-6; B, 0-0.
Third Period - C, Gallagher (R. Nash, Barlow), PP, 3:41; C, Devin (Kennedy, Seminoff), 17:06. Penalties - C, 1-2; B, 1-2.

B, Mark Sibbald (59:41), 12-8-10-x - 30; C, Ben Scrivens (60:00), 8-9-8-x - 25.