Kramer, Lappin Lift Men’s Hockey to 3-2 Overtime Victory over Dartmouth

Kramer, Lappin Lift Men’s Hockey to 3-2 Overtime Victory over Dartmouth


PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Sophomore Nick Lappin (Geneva, Ill.) notched two goals in the third period to even the score and freshman Kyle Kramer (Qualicum Beach, British Columbia) scored the game-winner in overtime as the Brown men's hockey team earned a 3-2 comeback win over Dartmouth on Saturday night at Meehan Auditorium.

Brown picked up its second straight victory to improve to 5-6-1 overall and 3-4-1 in ECAC play, while Dartmouth drops to 2-9-0 on the season and 2-7-0 in conference action.

Facing a 2-0 deficit at the start of the third period, Lappin scored at 7:40 to trim the deficit to one and then notched the equalizer with three minutes left in regulation to send the game into overtime.

Kramer, who recorded his first collegiate goal the previous night in a win over Harvard, found the back of the net at 1:58 in the overtime stanza on a feed from fellow freshman Davey Middleton (Novi, Mich.) to give the Bears the comeback victory.

Freshman Tyler Steel (Vernon, British Columbia) registered 28 saves in net to earn the win, while Charles Grant made 37 stops for the Big Green.

Dartmouth gained an immediate advantage when Brown was called for a five-minute game misconduct just 2:15 into the contest. The Bears held off the attack, but the Big Green drew another penalty late in the power play for the five-on-three advantage. From there, Steel came up with a few big saves to hold off the two-man advantage, helping the Bears kill the penalty.

Nevertheless, the Big Green scored less than a minute after the Bears returned to full strength on a goal by Brad Schierhorn at 9:10 for the early lead. Nick Bligh chased down the puck in the corner and slide a pass across the ice to the slot, where Schierhorn tipped a shot past Steel to push the visitors on top, 1-0.

Dartmouth added another goal with 1:17 left in the period to take a two-goal lead. Schierhorn won a face off in the offensive end and set up Andy Simpson with a shot from the point, only to be denied by Steel, but Bligh put home the rebound to give the Big Green the advantage, 2-0, at first intermission. Dartmouth outshot Brown, 12-9, in the opening period.

In the second period, Brown benefitted from a pair of early power plays, but the Big Green managed to kill off both attacks. The Bears continued to put pressure on net and outshot the Big Green by a 15-8 margin during the stanza.

Brown jumped on the board with a goal by Lappin at 7:40 in the third period. Senior Dennis Robertson (Fort St John, British Columbia) brought the puck into the offensive end and then kicked it back to junior Matt Lorito (Oakville, Ontario) for a shot from in front of the blue line. Grant made the initial save, but Lappin was waiting at the far post and put back the rebound to trim the deficit to one, 2-1.

Lappin recorded his second tally of the contest with three minutes left in regulation to even the score. After Lappin received a pass from sophomore Brandon Pfeil (West Vancouver, British Colimbia), he skated behind the net and then through the slot, maneuvering through traffic before sending a shot past the glove of Grant for the equalizer. Brown outshot the Big Green by a 15-10 margin in the third frame.

With just under two minutes into overtime, Middleton held possession in the offensive end along the boards and pushed the puck to Kramer, who blasted a shot from just outside the right circle and into the back of the net to lift the Bears to victory.

Brown outshot the Big Green, 40-30, in the contest. The Bears picked up their second win of the season over the Big Green after a 5-3 win in the second game of the Liberty Hockey Invitational.

The Bears return to action on Friday, Jan. 3 when they visit Denver at 7 p.m.