Men’s Hockey Falls at No. 4 Providence, 3-2, in 28th Annual Mayor’s Cup

Men’s Hockey Falls at No. 4 Providence, 3-2, in 28th Annual Mayor’s Cup

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Juniors Matt Lorito (Oakville, Ontario) and Matt Harlow (Bridgewater, Mass.) both scored third period goals, but it was not enough to climb back from an early deficit, as the Brown men's hockey team fell at No. 4 Providence, 3-2, in the 28th Annual Mayor's Cup on Saturday evening at Schneider Arena.

Brown drops to 3-6-1 overall, while Providence improves to 11-2-2 on the season.

Senior Marco De Filippo (Auronzo Di Cadore, Italy) made 26 saves in net for the Bears, while Jon Gillies registered 32 stops for the Friars.

Providence drew a pair of penalties within a 1:40 span late in the opening period, but Brown killed off both attempts, blocking four shots while limiting the Friars to just one shot-on-goal.

Nevertheless, Providence continued to attack and jumped on the board with three minutes left in the stanza. Nick Saracino took a shot from the right circle, which was deflected by De Filippo, but the puck bounced right back to the stick of Saracino for the quick rebound to give the home side the 1-0 lead at the first intermission.

Providence held an 11-7 edge in shots during the first stanza.

The Friars took a two-goal lead on a goal by Drew Brown at 5:58 in the second period. Mark Jankowski launched a shot from the right circle that was saved by De Filippo, but Brown tipped in the rebound from the far post to give the Friars the advantage, 2-0. Brown outshot the Friars by a 16-10 margin the second frame.

Lorito put the Bears on the board at 3:44 in the third period with his sixth goal of the season. Sophomore Nick Lappin (Geneva, Ill.) skated into the left circle before sending a pass into the slot, where Lorito blasted a shot past Gillies to pull the Bears within one, 2-1. Sophomore Mark Naclerio (Milford, Conn.) was also credited with an assist on the play.

Providence answered back at 9:17 when Derek Army skated down the left side and launched a shot from the left circle to push the Friars back in front, 3-1.

Brown responded less than two minutes later as Harlow scored his third tally of the season. Senior Mark Hourihan (Lynnfield, Mass.) sent a pass just in front of the blue line, where senior Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, BC) blasted a shot that was re-directed past Gillies to trim the deficit to 3-2.

The Bears continued to press down the stretch, highlighted by a shot from Lorito with 16 seconds remaining after the junior maneuvered through traffic, but Gillies turned away the attempt as the home side held on for the win.

The Bears return to action on Friday, Dec. 6 when they host Harvard at 7 p.m. For tickets, purchase online, call the Brown Athletics Ticket Office at (401) 863-2773, or walk up to the Box Office located in the Pizzitola Sports Center, open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.