Men’s Hockey Charges Past Princeton, 6-3

Men’s Hockey Charges Past Princeton, 6-3

PRINCETON, N.J. – Sophomore Mark Naclerio (Milford, Conn.) recorded a pair of goals and sophomore Nick Lappin (Geneva, Ill.) registered four assists to lead the Brown men's hockey team to a 6-3 victory over Princeton in Saturday afternoon's ECAC contest at Hobey Baker Rink.

With the win, Brown improved to 3-2-1 overall and 1-2-1 in ECAC play, as 10 differnt Bears registered at least one point in the contest. Princeton drops to 1-5-0 overall and 0-4-0 in league play.

Brown broke a 1-1 tie on a goal by senior Matt Wahl (Wellington, Fla.) with 47 seconds left in the first, while senior Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, British Columbia) and Naclerio scored consecutive goals in the opening 52 seconds of the second frame to pave the way to the win. In addition to Naclerio and Lappin, junior Matt Lorito (Oakville, Ontario) and Robertson also recorded multiple points.

Freshman Tyler Steel (Vernon, British Columbia) made 22 saves in net for the Bears, while Sean Bonar posted 26 stops on the other end.

Brown drew first blood with a power-play goal when Lorito scored just 2:54 into the contest. The Bears were set up in the offensive zone as junior Ryan Jacobson (Greenwood Village, Colo.) fielded a pass in the left circle and slid the puck through the slot to Lorito, who hit the one-timer glove side for the early lead, 1-0.

After Princeton struck back at 7:09 on a goal by Andrew Ammon to even the score at 1-1, the teams went back-and-forth for the remainder of the period, but the Bears capitalized on a late Princeton penalty for a final power-play opportunity of the stanza. Lorito gained possession of the puck and hit Lappin in the slot, who found Wahl all alone in front of the blue line for the tally with 43 seconds left on the clock as the Bears maintained a 2-1 lead at first intermission. Brown held a slim 9-8 edge in shots during the opening 20 minutes.

Brown went right to work offensively to start the second stanza as Robertson and Naclerio scored back-to-back goals within the opening minute to give the Bears a three-goal lead.

On the first goal 30 seconds into the period, senior Garnet Hathaway (Kennebunkport, Maine) gained possession behind the Princeton net and set up Robertson, who blasted a shot into the top right corner of the cage for the two-goal lead.

The Bears added another just 22 seconds later when freshman Zack Pryzbek (Niagara on the Lake, Ontario) battled for the puck behind the net and finally dished it out to Lappin, who quickly found Naclerio in the left circle to give the visitors a 3-1 advantage.

Brown continued to press offensively as junior Matt Harlow (Bridgewater, Mass.) scored at 6:37 for his second tally of the season. After battling for the puck along the boards, sophomore Joe Prescott (Norwell, Mass.) gained possession, swept around the left circle and took advantage of an open shooting lane, allowing Harlow to re-direct the shot into the net to push the Bears on top, 5-1.

With 58 seconds left in the period, Jack Berger scored a power-play goal to trim the deficit to three, 5-2. Brown outshot the Tigers by an 18-7 margin in the frame.  

Brown re-gained a four-goal advantage with a short-handed goal at 2:30 of the third period on the second tally of the game for Naclerio. After a Princeton faceoff win, Lappin intercepted the puck and skated down the other end of the ice for the 2-on-1 before Naclerio tipped in a rebound to increase the lead, 6-2.

Ammon scored for the Tigers at 10:23 to trim the deficit to three, but it was not enough, as the Bears cruised to the victory.

The Bears return to action on Tuesday, Nov. 12 when they visit New Hampshire in non-conference action at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast live on the Live Well Network and Fox College Sports.