Bears Fall to #11 Dartmouth, 4-2

Bears Fall to #11 Dartmouth, 4-2

PROVIDENCE, RI – Despite holding a 33-25 advantage in shots on goal and outplaying 11th-ranked Dartmouth (10-5-2, 6-3-1) for long stretches of time, the Brown men's hockey team (5-8-4, 1-5-4) failed to capitalize on its chances in a 4-2 loss to the Big Green on Friday evening at Meehan Auditorium.

"The were just a little bit more crisp than us," said head coach Brendan Whittet '94. "I actually thought we had a lot of chances early. Every time we play that hockey team. We play fairly hard, but we find a way to beat ourselves. It was really, really disheartening because I thought we had jump."

Men's Hockey vs. Dartmouth
Jan 18, 2013

Playing with a depleted lineup due to injuries and illness, especially on defense, the Bears managed to play one of their best periods of hockey against the Big Green in recent history, outshooting Dartmouth, 13-8, in the opening frame. However, it was the visitors that would capitalize twice to take a 2-1 advantage into the first intermission after netting a short-handed goal with just 19 seconds left in the period.

Dartmouth took a 1-0 lead at the 7:31 mark when Tim O'Brien beat junior Marco De Filippo (Auronzo Di Cadore, Italy) from the slot for his third goal of the year. It appeared that De Filippo made the initial save, but the puck trickled in behind him, as the Big Green took the early lead.

Sophomore leading scorer Matt Lorito (Oakville, Ontario) tied the game at 1-1 just over 10 minutes later with his 13th goal of the season. Junior Garnet Hathaway (Kennebunkport, ME) sent the puck over to classmate Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, British Columbia) along the end boards. Robertson took the puck and skated up around the net and fed Lorito, unguarded in the slot, who wristed the puck over Cab Morris' glove, knotting the game.

The Bears went up on their second power play of the night with 1:23 left in the period, but it was Dartmouth that would score on the odd-man situation. After Brown failed to keep in the puck in the zone, Matt Lindblad beat Robertson in a footrace in neutral ice and snuck the puck past De Filippo on the breakaway attempt with just 19 seconds left in the period.

Despite missing nearly the entire week of practice with illness, senior Anthony Borelli (Grand Island, NY) replaced De Filippo in goal to start the second period. Dartmouth extended its lead to 3-1 just 1:27 into the second frame when Eric Robinson's shot from the left point on a Big Green power play got past Borelli at the near post.

The Bears looked to get one back early in the third period, but freshman Mark Naclerio's (Milford, CT) attempt from the left side of the crease hit the near post just 1:49 into the frame, as the score remained 3-1 in favor of the Big Green. Dartmouth had a chance of its own hit the crossbar at the 12:49 mark and the 3-1 score held until the 18:55 mark when Brandon McNally added an empty-netter for his second point of the night.

Senior Jeff Ryan (Media, PA) scored the Bears' second goal with just nine seconds left to account for the 4-2 final.

Brown continues action tomorrow afternoon when it hosts ECAC and Ivy foe Harvard in a 4:00 p.m. contest. All children under 12 who wear a hockey jersey will be admitted to the game free of charge and the Brown team will be signing autographs at the conclusion of the game.

#11 DARTMOUTH                2            1            1            x            -            4
BROWN                                1            0            1            x            -            2

First period – D, O'Brien (McNally, Bligh), 7:31; B, Lorito (Hathaway, Robertson), 17:55; D, Lindblad (unassisted), SH, 19:41. Penalties – D, 2-4; B, 0-0.

Second period – D, Robinson (Neiley, Sikura), PP, 1:27. Penalties – D, 0-0; B, 2-4.

Third Period – D, McNally (unassisted), EN, 18:55; B, Ryan (Juola, Harlow), 19:51. Penalties – D, 3-6; B, 0-0.


D, Morris (60:00), 12-6-13-x – 31; B, De Filippo (19:51), 6-x-x-x – 6; B, Borelli (39:29), x-5-10-x – 15. 

Attendance: 1,227

Pictured: Dennis Robertson '14 (L) and Matt Lorito '15 celebrate Lorito's goal against the Big Green. Photo by