Bears Fall to Dartmouth, 4-0

Bears Fall to Dartmouth, 4-0

PROVIDENCE, RI – Dartmouth scored a pair of goals in the second and third periods and Charles Grant stopped 24 shots to record a shutout, as the Brown men's hockey team (1-1-0) fell to the Big Green (1-0-1) in the Championship game of the 2012 Ivy Showcase. The result counts as a non-league contest for both teams though it does not count in ECAC Hockey or Ivy standings.

"I didn't think we had the requisite energy level or commitment that was necessary in order to win that hockey game," said head coach Brendan Whittet '94. "It is really disappointing because I thought we did have it [Friday] night. What guys have to understand is the importance of each and every game."

The Bears controlled the majority of the first period, outshooting Dartmouth, 12-7, but the two teams headed into the locker rooms tied at 0-0.

Momentum in the game swung towards the Big Green's favor at the 18:11 mark of the period when junior Garnet Hathaway (Kennebunkport, ME) was issued a five-minute major for contact to the head and a game misconduct.

"That Hathaway penalty hurt us," said Whittet. "He is a big kid who plays a physical game. He's a good skater who is involved a lot and when you don't have him, you lose an element from your lineup. We just never recovered."

Dartmouth opened the second period with 3:09 left on the man-advantage and, using the clean ice to its benefit, capitalized just 1:39 into the frame to take a 1-0 lead.

Stationed at the bottom of the left face-off circle, Eric Robinson took a feed from Matt Lindblad and fired it past junior Marco De Filippo (Auronzo Di Cadore, Italy) for his second goal of the weekend.

The Big Green extended their lead to 2-0 before the end of the period, capitalizing on an odd play that was initially reviewed and then ruled a goal. After De Filippo made a save, the puck came up to the right point. With a Dartmouth player on top of De Filippo in the crease, Brett Patterson poked the puck through a crowd, and the it trickled into the partially open net.

Early in the third period, with Brown killing another penalty, another odd sequence resulted in the Bears falling behind 3-0. Just 1:11 into the frame, sophomore Ryan Jacobson (Greenwood Village, CO) sent the puck on goal from just over the blue line. The puck hit the crossbar and appeared to bounce directly down into the goal, lighting the red lamp.

However, the referee immediately signaled "no goal," and just nine seconds later, and with four seconds left on the power play, Tyler Sikura tipped a shot by Taylor Boldt past De Filippo.

Following the Big Green goal, both plays were reviewed. Brown's was ruled to have not been a goal, while Dartmouth's counted, as the visitors took a 3-0 lead.

Brown had chances to get on the board throughout the third period, but Grant stopped all six shots he faced to keep the Bears off the board, and Jesse Beamish added an empty net goal with 2:08 remaining to account for the 4-0 final.  

For the game, Dartmouth outshot Brown, 33-24. De Filippo finished with 29 saves, while Grant earned his first career shutout with 24 saves.

Brown returns to action next weekend when it travels to Harvard and Dartmouth for its first ECAC and Ivy League weekend of the season. The Bears face the Crimson on Friday night at 7:00 and then the Big Green on Saturday night, also at 7:00.

DARTMOUTH                        0            2            2            x            -            4
BROWN                                0            0            0            x            -            0

First period – No Scoring. Penalties – D, 2-4; B, 3-17.

Second period – D, Robinson (Simpson), PP, 1:39; D, Patterson (unassisted), 15:06. Penalties – D, 1-2; B, 1-2.

Third Period – D, Sikura (Boldt), PP, 1:20; D, Beamish (O'Brien), ENG, 17:52. Penalties – D, 2-4; B, 1-2.

D, Charles Grant (59:44), 12-6-6-x – 24; B, Marco De Filippo (59:15), 7-15-7-x – 29.

Attendance: 1046