Bears Fall Behind Early, Can’t Recover, Drop 4-1 Decision to Dartmouth

Bears Fall Behind Early, Can’t Recover, Drop 4-1 Decision to Dartmouth

PROVIDENCE, RI  – Brown's tendency of giving up early goals continued to haunt the team, as Dartmouth (10-13-4, 7-10-3) took a 2-0 first-period lead and then stretched it to 3-0 in the second to skate past the Brown men's hockey team (8-15-4, 5-12-3), 4-1, Saturday evening at Meehan Auditorium. The loss stretches Brown's winless streak to eight games (0-7-1), dating back to a 2-1 win over Union on January 21st.

Things did not start well for the Bears, as Dartmouth grabbed a 1-0 lead just 3:22 after the opening faceoff on the first of two goals for Eric Robinson. After collecting the puck in the slot, Robinson skated towards the net and fired a shot around the Bears' defense and past senior Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) for his 11th of the year. Robinson put his team up, 2-0, at 9:44, scoring an odd goal for his second of the year. From behind the net, Nick Walsh threw the puck into the slot, where it bounced off Robinson's chest and past Clemente.

Less than a minute after the goal, the Bears lost sophomore Mark Hourihan (Lynnfield, MA) to a five-minute major penalty. Then, a minute into the Dartmouth power play, senior Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB), skating in on a short-handed breakaway, was hit in the neutral zone by Connor Goggin. With a delayed penalty already coming up against Tyler Sikura, for holding Maclellan, Goggin was issued a five-minute major for contact to the head. However, the Bears lost Maclellan for the rest of the game due to an injury suffered on the play.

Dartmouth opened the second period with a two-man advantage for the first 1:04 of the frame, after a holding call on sophomore Mike Juola (Lake Forest, IL) at 19:03 of the first and a tripping call on sophomore Garnet Hathaway (Kennebunkport, ME) at the 20-minute mark of the first. Brown was able to kill both penalties to stay within two goals of the Big Green.

The Big Green extended their lead to 3-0 midway through the second period when Rick Pinkston's shot from the left side was tipped by Paul Lee and past Clemente stick-side low.

With 5:39 left in the second period and with the teams skating four-on-four, freshman Ryan Jacobson (Greenwood Village, CO) nearly got the Bears on the board, but his chance from the right side on a partial breakaway was saved by a diving Jody O'Neill.

The Bears got on the board at 5:48 of the third period when freshman Matt Harllow (Bridgewater, MA) finished off a perfectly-executed three-on-two rush. Hathaway passed from the right wing to freshman Matt Lorito (Oakville, ONT) in the middle. Lorito sent he puck over to Harlow on the left and he tapped the puck past O'Neill for his third goal of the year.

Following the goal, Brown continued to pepper Dartmouth with shots, but the Big Green regained the three-goal lead with 6:38 remaining when Doug Jones, left all alone in the slot, received the puck from Robinson, who was behind the net, and lifted it over Clemente's glove, accounting for the 4-1 final.

Clemente finished with 23 saves, while O'Neill made 34 for Dartmouth, as Brown outshot the Big Green, 35-27. The Bears return to action next weekend when they travel to Quinnipiac and Princeton for the final two regular season games of the year.

DARTMOUTH            2            1            1            x            -             4
BROWN                    0            0            1            x            -             1

First period – D, Robinson (Jones, Pinkston), 3:22; D, Robinson (Nick Walsh, Simpson), 9:46. Penalties – D, 3-17; B, 3-17.

Second period – D, Lee (Pinkston, McNally), 12:09. Penalties – D, 3-6; B, 2-4.

Third Period – B, Harlow (Lorito, Hathaway), 5:48; D, Jones (Robinson), 13:22. Penalties – D, 0-0; B, 0-0.

D, Jody O'Neill (60:00), 11-13-10-x – 34; B, Mike Clemente (60:00), 5-10-8-x – 23.

Attendance: 1,801

Pictured: Matt Harlow '15. Photo by