#13 Cornell Erases 2-0 Deficit with Five Unanswered Goals; Defeats Bears, 5-2

#13 Cornell Erases 2-0 Deficit with Five Unanswered Goals; Defeats Bears, 5-2

ITHACA, NY  – For the second game in a row, the Brown men's hockey team (8-13-3, 5-10-2) let a second period lead slip away, conceding five straight goals to its opposition, as #13 Cornell (12-6-6, 9-3-5) came back from a 2-0 deficit to earn a 5-2 win over Brown on Friday evening at Lynah Rink. The win is Cornell's first in three tries, as the Bears had won three straight against their Ivy rivals entering Friday's game.

Brown scored twice in 41 seconds, spanning the final three seconds of the first period and the first 38 of the second period to take a 2-0 lead after the first 20:38 of play. However, Cornell would score twice in the second period to tie the game heading into the final 20 minutes and then add three goals in the third to earn the 5-2 win.

Despite getting outshot, 9-3, during the opening period, the Bears grabbed a 1-0 lead with just 2.4 seconds left in the first on a goal by freshman Matt Lorito (Oakville, ONT). With time winding down in the period and an offensive zone faceoff for the Bears, Lorito scooped up a lose puck, skated towards the net uncontested and lifted the puck over the shoulder of Andy Iles to give the Bears a 1-0 lead.

Brown came out of the first intermission and wasted little time in doubling its lead, as freshman Ryan Jacobson (Greenwood Village, CO) scored on a beautiful deflection of a Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, BC) shot from the point just 38 seconds into the frame. Senior Jeff Buvinow (Turnersville, NJ) also earned an assist on the goal.

However, Cornell would get on the board just four minutes later, when Greg Miller skated down the right side and beat senior Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) top shelf from the bottom of the right faceoff circle.

Cornell came back and tied the score at 2-2 before the end of the period when John Esposito took a pass from Locke Jilson and fired it past Clemente, through the five-hole, from the high slot at the 11:43 mark.

With the score still tied at 2-2, the Big Red scored twice in the span of 1:15 to open up a 4-2 lead with 7:41 left to play. Both were scored from right in front of the net after long stretches of possession by the Cornell forwards in the corners. Miller gave the hosts a 3-2 lead at 11:04, one-timing a feed from Ferlin and Vince Mihalek converted a feed by Erik Axell at 12:19 for the fourth straight Cornell goal.

Following the score, the Bears took back-to-back penalties, including one with 4:35 to play, further inhibiting their chances for a comeback.

With 1:49 left to play and an offensive zone faceoff, Brown pulled Clemente in favor of the extra attacker. Cornell added an empty net goal with 44 seconds left to account for the 5-2 final, Brown's fifth straight loss.

Clemente finished with 27 saves, while Andy Iles made 22 for the Big Red, including all 14 in the final 20 minutes. Brown returns to action tomorrow evening when it travels to Hamilton, NY to face Colgate in a 7:00 p.m. contest.

BROWN                        1            1            0            x            -             2
CORNELL                      0            2            3            x            -             5

First period – B, Lorito (unassisted), 19:57. Penalties – B, 2-4; C, 1-2.

Second period – B, Jacobson (Robertson, Buvinow), 0:38; C, Miller (Ferlin, Mowrey), 4:29; C, Esposito (Jilson), 11:43. Penalties – B, 1-2; C, 2-4.

Third Period – C, Miller (Ferlin, Mowrey), 11:04; C, Mihalek (Axell, de Swardt), 12:19; C, Bardreau (Miller), EN, 19:15. Penalties – B, 9-38; C, 7-50.

B, Mike Clemente (58:56), 9-7-11-x – 27; C, Andy Iles (60:00), 2-6-14-x – 22.

Pictured: Ryan Jacobson '15. Photo by DSPics.net.