Bears Can’t Recover From Sloppy First Period, Fall to Clarkson, 3-1

Bears Can’t Recover From Sloppy First Period, Fall to Clarkson, 3-1

PROVIDENCE, RI  – The visiting Golden Knights (13-11-5, 7-5-3) capitalized on a sloppy first period by the Bears (8-11-3, 5-8-2) to take a 2-0 first-period lead and then held on for a 3-1 win on Friday evening at Meehan Auditorium. After getting outshot in the opening 20 minutes by a 12-9 margin, Brown would outshoot Clarkson, 32-8 over the final 40 minutes, but the bounces did not fall, and Brown dropped its third straight game since defeating first-place Union on January 21st.

As they have for the majority of the season on Friday nights, the Bears came out flat and their opposition capitalized, taking a 2-0 first-period lead. Clarkson grabbed a 1-0 lead just 2:19 into the game when Brown lost possession of the puck in its defensive zone and Alex Boak took the rebound of a shot by Allan McPherson and fired it past senior Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) from the inside of the right faceoff circle.

Less than 10 minutes later, Patrick Marsh scored a goal almost identical to Boak's, this time converting a pass from Ben Sexton, who also assisted the first goal, from the top of the right faceoff circle.

Killing their second penalty of the period, Brown looked to get on the board, but senior Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) hit the post on a short-handed bid, as Clarkson held a 2-0 lead.

Brown came out of the first intermission buzzing and senior Bobby Farnham (North Andover, MA) was robbed by Paul Karpowich when his attempt from the backdoor was stopped as Karpowich slid right to left across the crease.

The Bears energy forced Clarkson to use its timeout just three minutes into the period and the decision paid off, as just 40 seconds later, Brown went on its third penalty kill of the game and Clarkson took a 3-0 lead, on the ensuing power play, at the 5:12 mark.

With Brown on its first power play of the game, Maclellan got the Bears on the board just five seconds into the man-advantage, beating Karpowich with a wrist-shot from the high slot. After collecting the puck from Farnham at the blueline, Maclellan skated towards the net, before unleashing a shot that saw the puck hit the back of the net and bounce right out.

Sophomore Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, BC) nearly cut the Clarkson lead to 3-2 in the final minutes of the second period with Brown on another power play and with Karpowich out of position, but with an open net to shoot at, his shot from the left side went just over the crossbar, as Brown headed into the final period, trailing, 3-1.

The two teams played a spirited third period, combining for 22 penalty minutes, all of which all came during a stretch of three minutes during the first half of the period. Farnham appeared to have closed the gap to 3-2 with what would have been a short-handed goal at 5:34. On a great individual effort, Farnham backhanded the puck over Karpowich from the right side and into the back of the net. However, the referee had whistled the play dead just prior to the goal, as it was not allowed.

Then, on another short-handed chance for the Bears' assistant captain, Farnham was taken down on a breakaway, setting up a penalty shot. However, his chance from the left side went wide left,

Brown pulled Clemente with 2:15 remaining in favor of the extra attacker, but despite maintaining possession for the majority of the last two minutes could not find the net, falling by a 3-1 final.

Clemente finished with 17 saves, while Karpowich made 40 for the Golden Knights. Brown returns to action tomorrow evening when it hosts St. Lawrence, 4-3 overtime winners over Yale on Friday night, in a 7:00 p.m. contest.

CLARKSON                   2            1            0            x            -             3
BROWN                        0            1            0            x            -             1 

First period – C, Boak (McPherson, Sexton), 2:19; C, Marsh (Sexton), 12:02.  Penalties – C, 0-0; B, 2-4.

Second period – C, Tremblay (Sexton, Oakley), PP, 5:12; B, Maclellan (Buvinow, Farnham), PP, 13:56. Penalties – C, 3-6; B, 2-4.

Third Period – No Scoring. Penalties – C, 6-12; B, 5-10.

C, Paul Karpowich (60:00), 9-16-15-x – 40; B, Mike Clemente (57:45), 10-4-3-x – 17.

Attendance: 1395