Third Period Goals by Lamacchia and Jacobson Lift Bears Past Cornell, 5-4

Third Period Goals by Lamacchia and Jacobson Lift Bears Past Cornell, 5-4

Post-Game interview with head coach Brendan Whittet here
Post-Game interview with captain Jack Maclellan here

Trailing, 4-3, with less than eight minutes left in regulation, rookies Massimo Lamacchia (Maple, ONT) and Ryan Jacobson (Greenwood Village, CO) scored goals 1:19 apart to help the Brown men's hockey team (2-2-0, 1-1-0) come back for a 5-4 win over Cornell (1-2-0, 1-1-0) on Saturday evening at Meehan Auditorium. The game, which featured three ties and three lead changes was back-and-forth all night, as the Big Red erased an early 2-0 deficit with three straight goals, before eventually leading 4-3 after the end of 40 minutes.

Lamacchia's third goal in as many games came at the 12:04 mark of the third period after he stripped Cornell's Kirill Gotovets of the puck in the neutral zone and skated in along the left wing. He opted to keep the puck, shooting to the near post for his team-leading third goal of the year, tying the score at 3-3.

Then, just 1:19 later, Brown's line of seniors Bobby Farnham (North Andover, MA) and Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) and Jacobson combined for the game-winner. Maclellan dug the puck out from behind the net and passed up to Farnham at the bottom of the right faceoff circle. Farnham centered the puck for Jacobson, who beat Andy Iles with a one-timer from the far post.

The two teams played a somewhat sloppy first period of play, with Brown narrowly edging Cornell in shots, 8-7, and 2-1 on the scoreboard. Junior Richie Crowley (Canton, MA), back in the lineup after missing the previous two games, gave Brown a 1-0 lead just 6:16 into the contest with his first career goal. Junior Jeff Ryan (Media, PA), who scored his first career goal Friday against Colgate, collected the puck in front of the net from classmate Chris Zaires (Aberdeen, NJ). Ryan immediately sent it up to Crowley at the left point and he blasted a shot to Iles' glove-side for his first of the year.

Farnham increased Brown's lead to 2-0, scoring his first of the year on the tail end of Brown's second power play of the night. Brown held possession in the zone for the majority of the man-advantage with sophomore Dennis Robertson and Maclellan working the puck around the perimeter. From the top of the right faceoff circle, Robertson sent the puck to Farnham at the edge of the crease. Farnham patiently waited for Iles to drop, before lifting the puck over the Cornell net-minder at the 11:54 mark.

However, just 3:07 later, Cornell got on the board when Greg Miller beat senior Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) on a redirection of a Keir Ross shot from the blueline.

With Brown still leading, 2-1, to start the second period, Cornell needed just 1:15 to tie the score at 2-2. After an icing call against the Bears, Ross collected the puck on a broken play and fired a high shot through traffic from the slot to knot the score at 2-2.

Cornell grabbed its first lead of the night, 3-2, with 7:03 left in the second period when Brian Ferlin scored on a breakaway after pushing Robertson off the puck at the Cornell blueline.

However, the Bears fought back and tied the score at 3-3 on the first of the year for sophomore Matt Wahl (Wellington, FL), after Brown gained possession in the offensive zone following a Cornell hand pass at the other end of the ice. Farnham earned an assist on the goal, passing to Wahl at the left faceoff circle. Wahl skated towards the net and wristed a shot past Iles' glove at the 15:15 mark.

The Big Red would go ahead, 4-3, before the end of the period, as Joakim Ryan scored the third short-handed goal against the Bears on the weekend with 2:08 left before the second intermission. After Robertson failed to keep the puck in at the left point, John Esposito got around him and skated in along the right wing with Ryan in the middle. Senior Jeff Buvinow (Turnersville, NJ) had Ryan, but the Cornell rookie was able to get a shot off after collecting a centering feed from Esposito.

Following the Bears' third-period goals and after a Brown icing, Cornell pulled Iles in favor of the extra attacker with 1:19 left to play. Maclellan won a critical faceoff and Brown immediately looked for the empty net goal with Farnham missing just wide. In an exciting finish, Farnham had another empty net chance go wide, before Nick D'Agostino made a glove save on a shot by Maclellan.

For the game, Brown outshot Cornell, 28-20 and went 1-6 on the power play, while the Big Red were scoreless in four man-up chances. Iles finished with 23 saves, while Clemente made 16 for Brown.

The Bears return to the road for three straight games, as they travel to New York's Capital District to face Union and Rensselaer next weekend. Brown then takes a break from ECAC Hockey action, as it will travel to West Point for a game against Army on November 19th, the first of three straight non-league contests. Brown's next League games, after the Union-RPI trip, are not until a December 1st and 3rd when the Bears play a home-and-home with travel partner Yale.

CORNELL                                    1            3            0            x            -            4
BROWN                                      2            1            2            x            -            5

First period – B, Crowley (Ryan, Zaires), 6:16; B, Farnham (Maclellan, Robertson), PP, 11:54; C, Miller (Ross, Gotovets), 15:01. Penalties – C, 2-4; B, 2-4.

Second period – C, Ross (Ferlin, Esposito), 1:15; C, Ferlin (unassisted), 12:57; B, Wahl (Farnham, Robertson), 15:15; C, Ryan (Esposito), SH, 17:52. Penalties – C, 3-6; B, 0-0.

Third Period – B, Lamacchia, 12:04; B, Jacobson (Farnham, Maclellan), 13:23. Penalties – C, 1-2; B, 2-4.

C, Andy Iles (58:41), 6-11-6-x – 23; B, Mike Clemente (60:00), 6-4-6-x – 16

Pictured: Ryan Jacobson '15. Photo by