#5 Yale Explodes for Five Straight Goals en Route to 7-4 Victory over Bears

#5 Yale Explodes for Five Straight Goals en Route to 7-4 Victory over Bears

NEW HAVEN, CT – The Brown men's hockey team (0-1-0) scored three straight power play goals in a span of 2:34 to hold a 3-1 lead midway through the first period, but #5 Yale (1-0-0) exploded for five unanswered goals, including a three-goal second period, to claim a 7-4 win over the Bears in the season opener for both teams Friday evening as part of the Ivy Showcase. The result will count in the regular season record for both Brown and Yale, but will not count towards ECAC Hockey or Ivy League standings.

The two teams came out flying and perhaps the Bears had a bit too much energy, as Brown took a penalty just 46 seconds into the game, which allowed Yale to build a 4-0 advantage in shots on goal.

The Bulldogs would eventually lead, 6-0, in shots before sophomore Chris Zaires (Aberdeen, NJ) took Brown's first shot on goal on the Bears' first power-play 8:30 into the first period.

However, Yale would collect the puck, skate the other way, and score a short-handed goal after a scrum in front at 8:50, just 26 seconds into the Bears' man-advantage. Broc Little was credited with the goal, while Denny Kearney earned the assist.

Just 31 seconds later, freshman Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, BC) tied the score at 1-1 with his first career goal on a slap shot from the left point. Classmate Jake Goldberg (Langhorne, PA) posted his first career point, collecting the puck from senior Jesse Fratkin (Burnaby, BC) at the left half-wall and sending it up to Robertson.

Things intensified following the Bears' goal and 30 seconds later, junior goalie Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) was taken down behind the goal by Yale's Chris Cahill. The play knocked Clemente's mask off and Cahill was ejected from the game with a 5:00 roughing and a game misconduct.

Just 18 seconds into the five-minute power-play, the Bulldogs took a second penalty, setting up a two-man advantage for a full two minutes. Robertson capitalized again, scoring his second goal at the 11:08 mark when he collected the puck from junior Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) at the bottom of the right face-off circle and blasted a shot to near side for his second goal in less than two minutes. Junior Jeff Buvinow (Turnersville, NJ) also assisted for his first point of the season.

The Bears still had 4:01 remaining on the five-minute advantage and immediately went back to work. Senior Harry Zolnierczyk (Toronto, ONT) increased Brown's lead to 3-1 just 47 seconds later when he got the puck at the bottom of the left circle and beat Jeff Malcolm glove-side high for his first goal of the year, as Brown lit the lamp three times in just two-and-a-half minutes. Maclellan and Zaires both assisted the goal

The lead was short-lived, however, as a too many men on the ice call against Brown led to Yale's second goal of the evening at the 17:14 mark. The Bulldogs tied the score at 3-3 21 seconds later when Nick Jaskowiak's cross-ice pass deflected off a Brown skate and went right to Kearney, who one-timed the puck in from the left side of the crease.

Yale regained its one-goal lead 4:21 into the second period when Kearney, stationed on the doorstep, took a centering feed from Little and redirected it past Clemente, glove-side, for his second goal of the night.

Kearney completed a natural hat trick at the 10:47 mark of the second period, when he fired a shot from the left side of the net, goal line extended, that somehow got behind Clemente. Brian O'Neill doubled the lead with 3:33 left in the second period, finishing off a two-on-one power play break with Andrew Miller.

The Bears opened the third period with 1:08 remaining on their fifth power play chance of the night. Just 48 seconds into the frame, Buvinow cut the deficit to 6-4 when he received the puck from Zolnierczyk and fired it behind Malcolm from the outside of the right faceoff circle.

Brown had essentially four straight minutes with a player advantage from 3:11 to 6:58 and, save for quality possessions on both chances, could do nothing with them. Just 31 seconds after the second Yale penalty expired O'Neill scored his second of the night on a shot from high in the slot, increasing the Bulldogs' lead to 7-4.

The Bears went back on the power play at the 8:05 mark and again at 10:56, their eighth and ninth chances of the night, but Yale's penalty kill was up to the task both times, while generating several quality scoring opportunities at the end of the second odd-man situation.

Clemente finished with 33 saves, while Malcolm made 16 saves for the Bulldogs. Brown returns to action tomorrow afternoon when it faces Princeton in a 4:00 p.m. game at Yale's Ingalls Rink. Earlier today, the Tigers lost to Dartmouth, 2-1, in their season opening game.

BROWN            3            0            1            x            -            4
YALE                3            3            1            x            -            7

First Period – Y, Little (Kearney), SH, 8:50; B, Robertson (Goldberg, Fratkin), PP, 9:21; B, Robertson (Maclellan, Buvinow), 5x3, 11:08; Y, Peel (Matczak, Laganiere), PP, 17:14; Y, Kearney (Jaskowiak, Little), 17:35 . Penalties –B, 5-10; Y, 5-21.

Second Period – Y, Kearney (Little, Limbert), 4:21; Y, Kearney (O'Neill, Miller), 10:47; Y, O'Neill (Miller, Dueck), PP, 17:27. Penalties – B, 1-2; Y, 1-2.

Third Period – B, Buvinow (Zolnierczyk), 0:48; Y, O'Neill (Ziegler), 7:29. Penalties – B, 1-2; Y, 4-8.

B, Mike Clemente (60:00) – 10-9-14-x – 33; Y, Jeff Malcolm (60:00) – 8-4-4-x – 16.

Pictured: Jack Maclellan '12 led Brown with three assists against Yale. Photo by DSPics.net.