Fratkin Hat Trick Leads Brown Past UConn, 8-1, as Bears and Whittet earn First Victory

Fratkin Hat Trick Leads Brown Past UConn, 8-1, as Bears and Whittet earn First Victory

PROVIDENCE, RI - Junior Jesse Fratkin (Burnaby, BC) scored the first and last goals of the game, while scoring his first career hat trick, as the Brown men's hockey team (1-7-1) exploded for an 8-1 victory over UConn (2-10-2) on Saturday evening at Meehan Auditorium. The victory marks head coach Brendan Whittet's first career win behind the Brown bench as is also the highest offensive output in almost exactly six years. The last time a Brown team scored eight goals was on November 29, 2003 in an 8-0 victory over St. Lawrence. Fratkin's hat trick was also the first three-goal game for a Bears' player since Ryan Garbutt '09 had struck three times in a 6-3 win over Quinnipiac on February 3, 2007. In all, six different Bears scored in the game, while 14 different players tallied at least one point, including four players who earned their first career point.

"I am thrilled that the guys got a win tonight," said Whittet. "They were ready to go from the opening faceoff and competed hard for 60 minutes. We set the tone from the first shift and the win was a direct result of their work ethic, intensity, and the way they battled all night."

The Bears came out flying and dominated UConn in the opening 20 minutes, earning an 18-5 advantage in shots and taking a 5-0 lead into the first intermission.

Fratkin who had his first career multi-point game on Tuesday night against Bentley starting things just 4:51 into the game, when he beat Brad McInnis from the top of the crease. After an initial shot by freshman Chris Zaires (Aberdeen, NJ) was saved and the Huskies briefly gained possession, senior Devin Timberlake (Port Alberni, BC) stole the puck away and sent it down to Fratkin in the slot for the first goal of the night.

Freshman Francis Drolet (Lachine, QUE) lit the lamp for his first career goal 5:08 later, batting a Jeremy Russell (St. Albert, ALB) shot out of the air and past McInnis. Zaires and Timberlake combined with Fratkin for the second time of the night just 1:33 later, as Brown held a 3-0 lead midway through the period.

Senior Sean McMonagle (Oakville, ONT) increased Brown's lead to 4-0, putting away a pass from Russell with a hard shot from the right point on a Bears' power play at 16:46.

Brown chased McInnis from the game 15 seconds later when freshman Marc Senecal (North Bay, ONT) scored his first of the season, connecting off a Tyler Fernandez (Bloomfield, CT) feed from behind the net. The point was Fernandez's first career point, while sophomore Bobby Farnham (North Andover, MA) tallied his first point of the season with the pass to Fernandez.

Brown did not let up in the second period, grabbing a 6-0 lead just 1:22 in. With both teams skating four players, sophomore Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) took a shot from the left side that trickled over the goal line just before Jeff Larson, who replaced McInnis at the end of the first, could cover it. Fratkin posted his third point of the night, while junior Sean Connauton (Edmonton, ALB) earned the first point of his career with the assists on the goal.

Zaires gave Brown a 7-0 lead at 17:33 of the second, scoring just four seconds after a power play had expired. Realizing time was winding down on the man-advantage, senior Jordan Pietrus (Winnipeg, MAN) took a hard shot from the blueline that sailed through traffic and was saved by Larson. However, the rebound bounced out to Zaires on the left side and he backhanded the puck into the partially open net, hitting the far side of the net for his third goal of the season. Timberlake earned his third point of the night with an assist on the goal.

After needing only five saves in the first period, sophomore Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) was busier in the second, stopping all 12 shots he faced, including four in a row on point-blank shots from the edge of the crease on a UConn power play. At the end of the period, he stopped Brendan Olinyk on a wrap-around attempt to keep the Huskies off the board.

Michael Coppola spoiled Clemente's shutout bid at 12:15 of the third period, converting a two-on-one with Evan Carriere. Carriere carried the puck into the zone along the left wing and fed Coppola, who tipped the puck over Clemente's glove from the right side.

Fratkin completed with hat trick with 16.8 seconds, beating Larson five-hole from the top of the left faceoff circle, off a pass from Connauton.

"It's a relief to get that first win," said Fratkin. "(Jordan Pietrus') line set the tone from the opening shift. We started quick and never let up. Personally, I was off to a slow start this season, but coach instilled confidence in me and kept putting me out there. It felt great to contribute to the win."

Clemente stopped 24 shots for the Bears. McInnis and Larson combined for 33 saves for the Huskies. Brown returns to action on Tuesday night, December 1, when it travels to Harvard for a 7:00 p.m. ECAC and Ivy League contest. The game begins a tough stretch for the Bears, who will close the semester with four games in eight days.

UCONN                        0            0            1            x            -            1

BROWN                        5            2            1            x            -            8


First Period - B, Fratkin (Zaires, Timberlake), 4:51; B, Drolet (Russell, Maclellan), 9:59; B, Fratkin (Zaires, Timberlake), 11:32; B, McMonagle (Russell, Zolnierczyk), PP, 16:46; B, Senecal (Fernandez, Farnham), 17:01. Penalties - C, 2-4; B, 1-2.

Second Period - B, Maclellan (Fratkin, Connauton), 4x4, 1:22; B, Zaires (Pietrus, Timberlake), 17:33. Penalties - C, 4-16; B, 5-18.

Third Period - C, Coppola (Carriere, Sapieha), 12:15; B, Fratkin (Connauton, Crowley), 19:43. Penalties - C, 2-4; B, 1-2.


B, Mike Clemente (60:00) - 5-12-7-x - 24; C, Brad McInnis (17:01) - 13-x-x-x - 13; C, Jeff Larson (42:59) - 0-8-12-x - 20.