#3 Cornell Cruises Past Brown Men's Hockey, 6-0

#3 Cornell Cruises Past Brown Men's Hockey, 6-0

PROVIDENCE, RI - Trailing, 3-0, with three minutes left in the game, the Bears pulled goalie Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) in favor of the extra attacker, but #3 Cornell (4-1-0, 3-1-0) exploded for three goals in the final 2:21 to earn a 6-0 victory over the Brown men's hockey team (0-4-1, 0-3-1) on Saturday evening at Meehan Auditorium.

The Big Red scored twice in a span of 13 seconds midway through the first period to open up a 2-0 lead after the first 20 minutes of action. Blake Gallagher scored the game's first goal, converting a three-on-two rush with Colin Greening and Joe Devin. Greening had the puck on the right side and slid it over to Gallagher on the left post, who lifted it into the net before Clemente could get back over.

Immediately following the faceoff, Sean Collins deposited his first of the season off a pass from Joe Scali.

Things settled down from there, but Cornell managed to outshoot Brown, 15-8, in the period.

Both teams had chances in the middle frame, but Clemente and Ben Scrivens stole the show, stopping many quality scoring opportunities. The Bears had two stellar chances in the final four minutes of the period, both of which came on power plays.

Freshman Chris Zaires (Aberdeen, NJ) had the first when senior Devin Timberlake (Port Alberni, BC) set him up with a centering pass form the right side. Zaires needed only to lift the puck, but instead shot it into the leg of Scrivens who had slid over from the other post.

Senior Aaron Volpatti (Revelstoke, BC) nearly got the Bears on the board with 18 seconds left, attempting to back-hand the puck over the Cornell goalie, but Scrivens gloved it out of the air to keep the Bears off the board.

Brown gained control on the ensuing faceoff and caught Scrivens out of the net, but a Cornell player was able to clear a lose puck out of the crease before a Bears' player could tap it in.

The Big Red opened the third period with a full two-minute power play after a slashing call on junior Harry Zolnierczyk (Toronto, ONT) at the 20-minute mark of the second. With just six seconds remaining on the man-advantage, Gallagher beat Clemente glove-side with a shot from the center of the slot. It was the first power play goal allowed in five chances to the Big Red's power play, which came into the game ranked first in the nation at 37.5%, having scored nine goals in 24 chances.

Brown pulled Clemente with three minutes remaining in favor of the extra attacker and Joe Devin scored an empty-netter with 2:21 remaining for a 4-0 Cornell advantage.

Clemente returned to the net after the goal and the Big Red scored two more goals in a span of 22 seconds for the 6-0 final.

Both Clemente and Scrivens made 28 saves in the game. The Bears return to action on Tuesday night when they travel across town to face Providence in the 24th annual Mayor's Cup game.


CORNELL                        2            0            4            x            -            6

BROWN                        0            0            0            x            -            0


First Period - C, Gallagher (Greening, J. Devin), 11:59; C, Collins (Scali, Esposito), 12:12. Penalties - C, 1-2; B, 3-6.

Second Period - No Scoring. Penalties - C, 2-6; B, 2-4.

Third Period - C, Gallagher (Greening, M. Devin), PP, 1:56; C, J. Devin (Greening, Birch), EN, 17:39; C, Roeszler (Kary, Ross), 18:24; C, Scali (Collins, M. Devin). Penalties - C, 0-0; B, 0-0.



B, Mike Clemente (59:21) - 13-12-3-x - 28; C, Ben Scrivens (60:00) - 8-11-9-x - 28.