Tempe, Arizona - The Brown men’s golf team threw a scare into seventh-ranked Arizona State, before falling to the Sun Devils by a 4-1 margin in a match play event at ASU’s Karsten Golf Course.
Bears’ freshman Chris Williams, playing number four, came up with a stunning 2&1 match play victory over Arizona State’s Spencer Fletcher, a U.S. Amateur qualifier last year.
Senior captain John Giannuzzi battled to the 18th hole falling one down to the Sun Devils’ James Byrne. Freshman JD Ardell also had a hard-fought match, falling by a 2&1 margin on the 17th hole to ASU’s James Byrne at number two.
Senior Michael Amato played at number three and fell by a 6&5 margin, while freshman Jack Mylott also lost by a 6&5 margin at number five.
The Bears will complete their spring trip at the Indiana Hoosier Classic, April 3-4, in Bloomington, Indiana.
Arizona State 4, Brown 1
March 31, 2010
1. Braxton Marquez (ASU) def. John Giannuzzi (B), 1 up
2. James Byrne (ASU) def. JD Ardell (B), 2&1
3. Jin Song (ASU) def. Mike Amato (B), 6&5
4. Chris Williams (B) def. Spencer Fletcher (ASU), 2&1
5. Wes Tucker (ASU) def. Jack Mylott (B), 6&5