Bears Clinch Ivy League Football Championship

Bears Clinch Ivy League Football Championship

Nov. 12, 2005

Box Score

Providence, Rhode Island - Senior All-American running back Nick Hartigan ran for 193 yards and two touchdowns to lead Brown to its seventh straight victory, a 24-14 win over Dartmouth to clinch the Ivy League title. Brown took sole possession of first place in the Ivy standings with a 5-1 Ivy record, 8-1 overall, and can win the Ivy title outright next week with a win over Columbia in New York City.

The Bears are assured of at least a share of their third Ivy League title, having won previous championships in 1976 and 1999.

Hartigan, a Walter Payton Award finalist as the outstanding offensive player in the nation, scored the game-winning touchdown with 11:47 remaining in the game on a four-yard run after the Bears had fallen behind by a 14-10 margin. Hartigan moved past Princeton's Keith Elias and into third place in all-time Ivy League rushing list with 4,263 yards. Hartigan also tied Elias for second place in all-time Ivy League rushing touchdowns with 49, just one behind the Ivy League mark of 50 by Cornell's Ed Marinaro from 1969-1971.

Brown opened the scoring on a four-yard touchdown run by Hartigan with 1;24 remaining in the first quarter. The Bears weaved their way down the field on the 86-yard drive with a combination of runs and passes, with Hartigan catching two passes for 32 yards in the scoring drive.

Dartmouth tied the game, 7-7, following a Brown fumble deep in its own territory, scoring on a 7-yard touchdown pass with 13:50 left in the second quarter.

Senior defensive back Jamie Gasparella picked off his sixth pass of the season at the Big Green 43-yard line, but the Bears were unable to convert a 38-yard field goal.

Sophomore kicker Steve Morgan gave the Bears a 10-7 lead with 8:28 left in the third quarter with a 45-yard field goal, establishing a new Ivy League record for kick-scoring with 88 points for the season. The Ivy previous record was held by Yale's John Troost, who scored 84 points in 2003.

The Big Green grabbed its first lead of the game, 14-10, on a 14-yard touchdown pass with 1:05 left in the third quarter, capping a 79-yard scoring drive.

Following a fumble recovery by senior Tim Cotter at the Big Green 44 yard line, junior quarterback Anthony Vita came into the game in relief of DiGiacomo. Six plays later, Hartigan gave Brown a 17-14 lead, scoring his second touchdown of the day on a four yard run. Vita completed two big passes in the drive on completions of 15 and 21 yards to junior wide receiver Lonnie Hill.

Brown's defense put the icing on the cake on consecutive sacks by senior Steve Storrs, sophomore Frank Nuzzo and Storrs once again, the last sack stripping the ball from Dartmouth's quarterback that was recovered senior Greg Burlin in the end zone for a touchdown, giving the Bears a 24-14 advantage with 2:26 remaining in the game.

Senior tri-captain James Frazier led the strong defensive effort with 11 total tackles, including one tackle for a loss and three pass break-ups. Nuzzo registered 7 tackles to go with his quarterback sack, while Gasparella and sophomore Matt Mullenax had five tackles each.