Fourth Quarter Rally Gives Yale 27-24 Win Over The Bears

Fourth Quarter Rally Gives Yale 27-24 Win Over The Bears

Nov. 4, 2006

Final Stats

Providence, RI - The first place Yale Bulldogs capitalized on five Brown turnovers to earn a 27-24 come-from-behind victory over the Bears in an Ivy League game at Brown Stadium. The loss drops Brown to 3-5 overall, 2-3 in the Ivy League, while the Elis stay atop the Ivy League standings with a 5-0 Ivy mark, 7-1 overall.

Trailing 24-17 heading into the fourth quarter, Yale scored 10 unanswered points, including the game-winning touchdown with 3:27 left in the game. Brown had a chance to tie the game at the end, but Steve Morgan's 50-yard field goal attempt with 1:04 left to play had the distance, but sailed wide to the right.

Yale got on the scoreboard first, booting a 35-yard field goal with 5:31 left in the first quarter. On Brown's first play from scrimmage following the kickoff, Yale stepped in front of an errant Bears' pass at the 19-yard line and ran it into the end zone to grab a 10-0 advantage.

The elation of the Yale sideline was short lived when Brown senior Brandon Markey took the ensuing kickoff 95-yards for a touchdown, electrifying the partisan Brown crowd of 5,987. Markey's 95-yard kickoff return was the seventh longest return in Brown football history.

Yale scored to go back up by 10 points, leading 17-7 early in the second quarter, but the Bears would answer once again.

Bears' senior quarterback Joe DiGiacomo lofted a 32-yard touchdown pass to senior Lonnie Hill with 12:00 left in the second quarter to pull Brown to within 17-10 of the Eils, capping a 65-yard scoring drive. The big play in the drive was a 23-yard run from scrimmage by Markey.

Brown came storming back to grab a 21-17 lead when senior Akin Oyalowo scampered into the end zone on a 12-yard run with 2:57 left in the first half. Hill's 44-yard reception was the big play in the 9 play, 92-yard, scoring drive.

Senior All-Ivy kicker Steve Morgan gave the Bears a 24-17 lead with 1:25 left in the third quarter, capping a 16 play, 77-yard drive that took 9:17 off the clock.

Following its third interception of the game, Yale narrowed the Brown lead to 24-20 with a 23-yard field goal with 8:03 left in the game.

Brown received a big game from Markey, who ran for 82 yards on 12 carries, in addition to his 95-yard kickoff return. Oyalowo finished the game with a season high 78 yards rushing on 17 carries.

DiGiacomo completed 8 of 16 passes for 134 yards and one touchdown. Junior wide receiver Paul Raymond led the Bears with three catches for 35 yards, while Hill made two catches for 74 yards.

Defensively, senior All-American linebacker Zak DeOssie made a game high 15 tackles, including eight solo stops and two tackles for a loss, helping the Bears hold the Ivy League leading Yale rushing offense to 138 yards on the ground. The Eils had been averaging 201.4 rushing yards per game. Junior safety Jose Yearwood came up with 10 total tackles, while sophomore cornerback Darrell Harrison made six tackles and registered his first career interception, running it back 39 yards.

The Bears travel to Hanover, New Hampshire for their final road game of the season on Saturday, November 11 against Dartmouth. Game time is 12:30 p.m. at Memorial Field.