Late Rally Falls Short, Bears Fall To Crusaders, 35-30

Late Rally Falls Short, Bears Fall To Crusaders, 35-30

Oct. 7, 2006

Box Score

Worcester, Mass. - For the second straight week, Brown made a valiant second half comeback effort. But for the second week in a row, the Bears were a touchdown short in a 35-30 loss to Holy Cross at Fitton Field.

Brown out-gained Holy Cross as both teams went up and down the field on offense, garnering 453 yards of total offense to the Crusaders 446 yards.

The Crusaders got on the scoreboard first, grabbing a 7-0 lead with 4:38 remaining in the first quarter.

Brown evened the score at the end of the first quarter when senior quarterback Joe DiGiacomo connected on a 28-yard scoring pass to senior Lonnie Hill with 33 seconds left in the quarter. Senior Brandon Markey converted a fourth down and one just prior to the Brown score. The touchdown, Brown's first of the season in the first quarter, was set up by Nkosi Still's 27-yard kickoff return that brought the gave the Bears possession at its own 45 yard line.

Holy Cross broke on top once again on its next possession with a 29 yard scoring pass to grab a 14-7 advantage with 13:15 left in the second quarter.

Junior All-Ivy kicker Steve Morgan booted a 25-yard field goal to bring Brown to within 14-10 of the Crusaders with 5:18 left in the half, converting his first field goal of the season.

Holy Cross scored with 10 seconds left in the half, and then again with 10:22 left in the third quarter, to pull ahead by a 28-10 margin.

Brown got back in the game with a little luck. DiGiacomo's downfield pass to senior Matt Krevis deflected off his hands, then off a Holy Cross defenders hands, and into the hands of Hill, who made the catch at the Brown 32 yard line and scampered the rest of the way into the end zone for a 61-yard score. The touchdown at 5:56 of the third quarter brought the Bears to within 11 points, 28-17.

Brown's comeback bid continued when DiGiacomo connected on a 22-yard scoring strike to junior Paul Raymond with 8:38 left in the game, capping a 56-yard scoring drive. The two-point conversion attempt failed and the Bears trailed, 28-23.

Again the Bears couldn't hold the Crusaders on defense, allowing Holy Cross to drive 80 yards in eight plays to grab a 35-23 lead with just under five minutes remaining in the game.

The Bears mounted a 66 yard scoring drive to make it interesting, three times converting on fourth down, before senior Akin Oyalowo scored on a one-yard run with 1:36 left to play, making the score 35-30.

Morgan's onside kick attempt on the ensuing kickoff was tipped by senior Zak DeOssie, but the Bears were unable to recover, and Holy Cross was able to run out the game clock.

DiGiacomo threw for a career best 401 yards on the day, completing 28 of 51 passes. Hill made 11 receptions for a career high 206 yards, while Raymond made a career high 10 catches for 133 yards. Hill's 209 receiving yards rank 10th in the Brown record book.

Defensively, junior linebacker Eric Brewer made eight tackles, while DeOssie had seven solo hits and a tackle for a loss. Sophomore Darrell Harrison registered seven solo tackles in the Bears' secondary, while junior safety Jose Yearwood came up with seven total tackles.

The Bears are back in action next Friday evening, October 13th, on the road at Princeton. Brown will be playing its first night game since September 28, 1991 when the Bears traveled to Huntington, West Virginia to battle Marshall.