Crusaders Outscore Bears, 48-37

Crusaders Outscore Bears, 48-37

Oct. 6, 2007

Final Stats

Providence, Rhode Island - Footballs filled the air at Brown Stadium, with Brown and Holy Cross combining for 826 passing yards, 102 passing attempts and 71 completions. In the end, though, the Crusaders outscored the Bears by a 48-37 margin as Brown's furious second half comeback bid fell short.

The Crusaders seemingly held an insurmountable 21-point lead at the half, 31-10. But the Bears awaked from their hibernation and erased the 21-point deficit to tie the game, 34-34, with 11:02 remaining in the game.

But the Bears ran out of gas, and Holy Cross outscored the Brown 14-3 the rest of the way to secure the victory.

Brown's 422 passing yards came at the strong right arm of junior Michael Dougherty, the nation's fourth leading passer, who threw for more than 400 yards for the second straight week. He completed 42 passes, just two short of the Brown record, on 65 attempts, a new Brown mark. Dougherty's 422 yards via the air are 10th best in the Brown record book.

Holy Cross opened an early 7-0 advantage, scoring on its first possession on a 19-yard pass play with 13:10 left in the first quarter.

The Bears answered immediately with an 80-yard scoring drive to tie the game, 7-7. With the ball on the Holy Cross 31-yard line, Dougherty connected on a slant pattern to sophomore Bobby Sewall, who caught the ball 10 yards down field, cut back to his left, and ran the rest of the way, diving into the end zone for a 31-yard scoring play.

The Crusaders exploded for 10 more points in the first stanza to grab a 17-7 advantage heading into the second quarter.

Senior Steve Morgan etched his name into the Ivy League record book when he booted a 31-yard field goal with 10:44 left in the second quarter to pull the Bears to within 17-10 of the Crusaders, to establish a new Ivy record for career kicking points. Morgan registered 13 points for the game, and now has 240 career kicking points, eclipsing the Ivy mark of 229 points, held by Brown's Sean Jensen from 1998-2001..

The Crusaders broke the game open with 14 unanswered points in the next 4:31 to pull ahead by a 31-10 margin at the half.

Brown came out in the second half with a determination to take the play to the Crusaders. On its first possession, the Bears marched 73 yards in 10 plays, with sophomore Chris Strickland ramming his way into the end zone from two yards out to cut the deficit to 31-17.

Morgan's second field goal of the day, a 37 yard boot, came with 5:42 left in the third quarter, pulling the Bears to within 31-20 of the Crusaders.

After falling behind by a 34-20 margin after three quarters, Brown clawed back in the game early in the fourth quarter with a 74-yard scoring drive to cut the Holy Cross advantage to 34-27, capped off by a two-yard touchdown run by Strickland with 14:11 remaining in the game.

Junior Frank Nuzzo came up with a big play for the Bears when he blocked a Holy Cross quick punt on fourth and four at the Bears 47 yard line, giving Brown the opportunity to start in great field position.

The blocked punt set up the Bears' game-tying touchdown, a seven yard scoring strike from Dougherty to Farnham with 11:02 left to play, knotting the game, 34-34.

The Crusaders quickly went back on top, 41-34, with a 73-yard scoring drive, capped off by an 11-yard touchdown pass play with 8:58 left in regulation.

Morgan's third field goal of the game, a 32-yard boot with 5:46 left to play, brought the Bears to within four points, 41-37. A late Holy Cross touchdown sealed the game for the Crusaders, 48-37.

All three of Brown's wide receivers had big games. Raymond, the nation's fifth ranked wide receiver, caught 10 passes for 138 yards, while Farnham, who is 14th in the nation in receptions, made 11 catches for 99 yards. Sewall also contributed with a career best 9 receptions for 100 yards, while junior tight end Colin Cloherty had 5 catches for 63 yards.

Brown's rushing attack accounted for 122 yards, with sophomore Jon Edwards running 8 times for 60 yards, and Strickland carrying seven times for 34 yards.

Brown's defensive effort was headed by junior Jon May, who made 11 tackles overall, including eight solo hits. Junior Darrell Harrison, junior Miles Craigwell and senior Matt Mullenax had seven tackles each. Sophomore Peter Hughes made the most of his first significant playing time of the season, making three tackles, two tackles for a loss and a quarterback sack.

The Bears return to Ivy League action next Saturday, October 13, against Princeton in the third of three consecutive home games. The game will be televised live on NESN. All the action starts at 12:30 p.m. at Brown Stadium.