Bears Fall In Double Overtime To Rhode Island, 49-42

Bears Fall In Double Overtime To Rhode Island, 49-42

Sept. 29, 2007

Final Stats

Providence, RI - Two overtimes and 1,122 combined yards later, Brown came up one yard short, dropping a 49-42 double overtime decision to Rhode island in the 92nd battle for the Governor's Cup before a boisterous crowd of 6,153 at Brown Stadium. The 91 combined points between the two teams made this year's game the highest scoring contest ever between the two teams from the Ocean State.

Trailing by seven points in the second overtime period, Brown's attempt to tie the game and send it into a third overtime was dashed at the one-yard line as junior Colin Cloherty caught a pass at the two yard line and tried to stretch his 6-3 frame into the end zone, only to be stopped just short of the goal line.

Rhode Island sent the game into overtime with a touchdown and two-point conversion with 1:01 remaining in the game, knotting the game at 35-35.

Brown scored first in overtime when sophomore running back Jon Edwards drove into the end zone from the one yard line, giving the Bears a 42-35 advantage. Rhode Island answered on its first play in overtime with a 25-yard run to force the second overtime.

The Rams had possession first for the second overtime, and scored the game-winning touchdown on a 10-yard pass play.

On Brown's possession in the second overtime, Bears' senior quarterback Michael Dougherty completed passes to sophomores Bobby Sewall and Buddy Farnham to give Brown a first down at the Rams' six yard line. But the Bears could not punch the ball into the end zone, coming up a yard short on the fourth down completion to Cloherty.

Overshadowed in the loss was a record setting performance by Bears' wide receiver Paul Raymond, who caught six passes for 221 yards, the fourth best performance (receiving yards) in Brown football history. In addition, his 80-yard reception for a touchdown in the third quarter was the fifth longest pass-play in the Brown record book.

Brown registered 514 yards of total offense for the game, including 427 yards via the air. The Rams came up with 608 total yards, with 479 yards coming on the ground.

Brown's offense was running on all cylinders on its first possession, driving 76 yards on seven plays to take an early 7-0 advantage on a two yard touchdown run by Edwards. The big play in the scoring drive was a 44 yard pass play from Dougherty to Raymond to advance the ball to the URI two yard line.

Bears' senior Matt Mullenax picked off a pass on Rhode Island's next possession, giving Brown the ball at the URI 34 yard line. But the Bears' offense sputtered, turning the ball over on downs.

The first quarter ended with the score tied, 7-7, when Rhode Island scored on a seven-yard run with 33 seconds left in the quarter.

The Rams grabbed a 14-7 advantage early in the second quarter, but the Bears answered just before the end of the half.

On fourth down from the Rams one-yard line, Edwards scored his second touchdown of the day when he plowed into the end zone on a second effort with 50 seconds remaining in the half, to tie the game,14-14.

Rhode Island drove 73 yards in three for a touchdown early in the third quarter, but missed the extra point, to pull ahead by a 20-14 margin.

The passing duo of Dougherty to Raymond electrified the Brown Stadium crowd on an 80-yard pass play, with Raymond catching the ball in stride at the Rams 40 yard line and out-running the Rhode Island secondary into the end zone, completing the fifth longest pass play in Brown football history and give the Bears a 21-20 advantage with 7:47 left in the third quarter.

The Rams came roaring back, scoring on their next possession to take the lead once again, 27-20, with 5:26 remaining in the quarter.

Farnham helped the Bears take the lead with two big plays on Brown's next possession. He returned the kickoff 42 yards to the Rhode Island 40 yard line, and hauled in an 8 yard touchdown pass from Dougherty with 3:23 left in the quarter to give the Bears a 28-27 advantage.

Brown extended its lead to eight points, 35-27, when Edwards scored on a seven yard run with 5:07 left in the game. Brown's 26-yard scoring drive was set up by a 20 yard Farnham punt return.

Dougherty passed for 407 yards on the day, completing 27 of 47 pass attempts. Cloherty, Farnham and Sewall all caught seven passes for the Bears with Cloherty gaining 93 yards, Farnham 64 yards and Sewall 64 yards. Edwards finished with 60 yards on the ground and four touchdowns.

Junior Miles Craigwell led the Bears' defensive effort with a career best 13 total tackles, including nine solo hits. Junior linebacker Frank Nuzzo made 10 tackles, while senior safety Jose Yearwood came up with nine tackles.

The Bears will be back in action next Saturday, October 6, in the second of three straight home games, battling Holy Cross. Game time is 12:30 p.m. at Brown Stadium.