Bears Drop 24-17 decision To Harvard

Bears Drop 24-17 decision To Harvard

Sept. 23, 2007

Final Stats

Boston, Mass. - A wide open offensive first half turned into a second half defensive battle as Harvard held on for a 24-17 win over Brown before a crowd of 18,898 in the first collegiate football night game ever played at Harvard Stadium.

Harvard got on the scoreboard first, marching 80 yards on its first possession to score on a 21-yard pass play with 11:38 left in the first quarter.

The Bears answered the Crimson by mounting their own scoring drive later in the first quarter. On second down from their own 37 yard line, junior quarterback Michael Dougherty connected with senior Paul Raymond on a slant across the middle. Raymond made the grab at the Harvard 45 yard and outran the Crimson defense, diving into the end zone for a 63-yard touchdown reception with 4:12 remaining.

The Crimson jumped out to a seven point advantage, 14-7, early the second quarter, but the Bears got right back in the game on their next possession.

Dougherty directed a 71-yard, 11-play scoring drive for the Bears to tie the game, 14-14, with 8:59 left in the quarter. He connected on a 13-yard touchdown pass to sophomore Buddy Farnham, who caught the pass at the Crimson seven yard line, spun, and plowed his way into the end zone.

Brown grabbed its first lead of the game, 17-14, when senior Steve Morgan booted a 32-yard field goal, his first of the season, with 1:52 left in the second quarter.

The lead was short lived, as the Crimson, aided by a 40-yard kickoff return, scored with 58 seconds left on the half to grab a 21-17 advantage at intermission.

The two teams combined for 380 passing yards in the first half (Brown 198, Harvard 182) and 490 yards of total offense.

If the first half was an offensive shootout, the second half was a defensive battle. The Bears were held to 50 second half yards, while the Crimson accumulated 160 yards.

The Bears had trouble mounting a running attack, especially with the loss of Dereck Knight to injury on his first carry of the game. Overall, Brown was held to 49 yards on the ground, 21 yards coming from Dougherty.

For the game, Dougherty passed for 249 yards, completing 18 of 44 passes. Farnham was his favorite target, making eight receptions for 102 yards. Raymond finished with five catches for 106 yards.

Brown's fierce defensive effort was led by junior Matt Nuzzo, who made 13 total tackles, including a quarterback sack for a loss of six yards. Senior Eric Brewer chipped in with 10 tackles. Junior Darrell Harrison made nine tackles and picked off a pass, returning it 19 yards.

The Bears return home next week for the 92nd meeting with Rhode Island for the Governor's Cup. Game time is 12:30 p.m. at Brown Stadium.