Brown Falls To Penn, 20-17, On Last Minute Field Goal

Brown Falls To Penn, 20-17, On Last Minute Field Goal

Philadelphia, PA – Brown will look back at Saturday's game as a lost opportunity, with penalties and turnovers deciding the outcome.  In the end, Penn's Connor Loftus kicked a 35 yard field goal with 17 seconds remaining to lift the Quakers to a 20-17 come-from-behind win over Brown at Franklin Field.  The loss drops Brown to 4-3 overall, 1-3 in the Ivy League, while Penn is now 3-4 overall, 3-1 in Ivy play.


Brown grabbed a late 17-14 lead when junior fullback Cody Taulbee plowed into the end zone from the one yard line with 3:47 remaining in the game.


The Quakers came back and Loftus tied the game with a 45-yard field goal, 17-17, with 2:12 left in the fourth quarter.


On the ensuing kickoff, Bears' senior AJ Cruz raced 99-yards for an apparent touchdown, only to have it call back due to a holding penalty.


"I saw a touchdown, and they (officials) threw a flag," said Brown head coach Estes.  "There's probably holding on every play, but it was certainly bad timing for us."


Pinned deep in their own territory, the Bears were intercepted by Penn's Trevor Niemann with 1:21 remaining at the Brown 44 yard line, setting up Loftus' deciding field goal with 17 seconds remaining on the clock.


Bears' senior wide receiver Tellef Lundevall turned in one of the finest performances in Brown football history.  He hauled in 17 passes, 6th best in the Brown record book, making several diving receptions along the way.  Lundevall had 170 yards with his 17 catches, including a 10-yard touchdown reception.


With the Bears decimated at running back, Bears' senior quarterback Patrick Donnelly three 47 passes with 30 completions and 312 yards. Senior Jeffrey Izon ran for 44 yards on 10 carries to lead the Brown rushing attack.


Cruz led the Bears defensive effort with nine tackles, including eight solo hits. Sophomore linebacker Dan Giovacchini had two tackles for a loss to go with his six tackles.


Penn quarterback Billy Ragone completed 13 of 22 passes for 165 yards, and threw touchdown passes of 22 and 36 yards.


Brown got the game's first break when junior linebacker Ade Oyalowo intercepted a tipped pass, making an acrobatic catch with 8:58 left in the opening quarter. But Penn returned the favor on a tipped ball, with Taylor Brown making the interception for the Quakers two minutes later.


After an exchange of 11 punts between the two teams, Penn got on the scoreboard first, late in the second quarter, when Ragone connected on a 22 yard touchdown pass to Connor Scott with 2:37 left in the half to grab a 7-0 lead.


Brown drove down the field and got its first points of the game on a 46-yard field goal by junior Alex Norocea to trail, 7-3, as time expired in the half.


The Bears grabbed their first lead of the game, 10-7, with 7:11 left in the third quarter, when Donnelly connected on a 10-yard touchdown pass to Lundevall, who caught the ball at the five yard line and dove into the end zone at the pylon.


The Quakers didn't trail for long, driving 75 yards on eight plays on their next possession to pull ahead, 14-10, on a 36 yard touchdown pass from Ragone to Jason Seifert with 2:30 left in the third quarter.


Brown returns home next Saturday, November 3 to host Yale at Brown Stadium, starting at 12:30 p.m.