Brown, Ivy Title Hopes, Dashed By Dartmouth, 21-16

Brown, Ivy Title Hopes, Dashed By Dartmouth, 21-16

Providence, Rhode Island – Brown had its Ivy League title hopes dashed Saturday afternoon, falling to Dartmouth, 21-16, at Brown Stadium.   The loss drops the Bears (7-2 overall) and their 29 seniors into a three way tie for second place in the league standings at 4-2, while Harvard (6-0) captured the Ivy title outright with one game remaining to play.


The Bears offense dominated the first half, but, despite out-gaining the Big Green by a 224-111 margin in total yards, saw the game tied at the half, 7-7.  Dartmouth used a strong second half running game to take control.


Brown senior quarterback Kyle Newhall-Caballero completed 22 of 33 passes for 252 yards and a touchdown.  Senior Alex Tounkara-Kone caught six passes for 71 yards, including a nine-yard touchdown reception.  Brown's rushing game struggled, with Tounkara-Kone leading the way with 45 of Brown's 94 yards.


The Bears' defensive effort was led by senior tackle Kyle Rettig, who made 13 total hits, including two for a loss.  Senior Clayton McGrath chipped in with 10 tackles, a quarterback sack and four tackles for a loss of 13 yards.  Junior AJ Cruz registered 10 tackles and returned a kickoff 83 yards for a touchdown.


Dartmouth's offensive attack was led by senior Nick Schwieger, who scored the game-winning fourth quarter touchdown and finished the with a game high 137 yards rushing on 37 carries.


After a sluggish start, Brown got its offense rolling late in the first quarter on a double reverse, with senior Matt Sudfeld taking the initial handoff and, in turn, handing off to Tounkara-Kone for a 55-yard gain.  But several penalties led to a missed second quarter field goal for the Bears.


Brown got on the scoreboard first when Kyle Newhall-Caballero connected on a 9-yard touchdown pass to Tounkara-Kone with 6:04 remaining in the second quarter to give the Bears a 7-0 advantage.  The nine-yard score capped a seven play, 83-yard scoring drive for the Bears.


The Big Green stunned the Bears just before the end of the half, tying the score, 7-7, with a 32-yard touchdown pass from Conner Kempe to Garrett Babb with 18 seconds remaining.


Brown grabbed a 10-3 lead on its first possession of the second half when sophomore Alex Norocea booted a 37-yard field goal with 10:19 left in the third quarter.


Dartmouth took its first lead of the game, 14-10, when Kempe scored on a one-yard quarterback sneak with 3:19 remaining in the quarter, capping a 65-yard scoring drive.


On the ensuing kickoff, junior AJ Cruz stunned the Big Green and electrified the Brown Stadium crowd with an 83-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, breaking several tackles in the last 15 yards for the score, and giving the Bears a 16-14 lead.


The Big Green answered once again, taking a 21-16 lead on a 61-yard scoring drive.  Senior Nick Schwieger scored on a one yard run with 11:01 remaining in the game to give Dartmouth the lead. 


The Bears will conclude their 2011 season next Saturday, November 19, traveling to New York City to face Columbia.  Game time is 12:30 p.m. at Wein Stadium.