Zack Tronti’s Overtime Touchdown Lifts Brown Over Stony Brook, 33-30

Zack Tronti’s Overtime Touchdown Lifts Brown Over Stony Brook, 33-30

Providence, RI -  Senior Zack Tronti scored on a one-yard run in the second overtime period to lift Brown (1-0) to a 33-30 come-from-behind victory over Stony Brook (1-2) in the season opening game for the Bears at Brown Stadium.

The two teams exchanged touchdowns in the first overtime period, with Tronti scoring for the Bears from four yards out, and Brock Jackolski scoring for Stony Brook on a one-yard plunge.
Stony Brook had the first possession of the second overtime period and was held to a Wesley Skiffington 36-yard field goal.

Starting at the 25-yard line, Brown took the ball down the field to the Stony Brook five-yard line, where the Seahawks were called for pass interference in the end zone.  Two plays later, Tronti ran around right end and into the end zone for the game-winning score.

"This was a strong win against a team who held their own against South Florida two weeks ago," said Brown head coach Phil Estes.  "The difference in this game was the passion our players showed on the field."

The Bears played without first team All-Ivy quarterback Kyle Newhall-Caballero, who missed the game with a hand injury.  Newhall-Caballero is expected to return next week against Harvard.

Senior Joe Springer took over the quarterbacking duties and started the game by connecting on his first collegiate pass, a 45-yard pass play to senior Alexander Tounkara.  Springer had command of the Bears' offense all day, and completed 23 of 43 passes for 250 yards and a touchdown.

"Joe was outstanding in his first start," added Estes.  "He made some mistakes, all that we can correct, and rebounded to lead our team to the win."

Tounkara stepped into the leading receiver role for the Bears and responded with 12 catches for 160 yards.

Tronti led the Bears with 77 rushing yards, playing for the first time since November 7, 2009, when he suffered a season-ending knee injury against Yale.  "I'm proud of the way Zack came back from hi injury.  He didn't miss a beat," said Estes.

Senior linebacker Andrew Serrano was the defensive standout for the Bears, making 12 tackles, including a quarterback sack, and intercepting a pass deep in his own territory to stop a Stony Brook drive.

The Seawolves struck first when quarterback Michael Coulter threw a quick pass to Matt Brevi, who broke a tackle at the line of scrimmage and scampered 67 yards down the sideline for a touchdown with 12:18 left in the first quarter.

Brown came back on its next possession, but stalled deep in Stony Brook territory.  Freshman Alexander Nororcea connected on his first career field goal, booting a 30-yard field goal with 7:33 left in the first quarter to cut the Stony Brook lead to 7-3.

The Bears took their first lead of the game, 10-7, when Springer connected on a 16-yard scoring pass to senior Jimmy Saros with 11:53 to go in the second quarter. Springer's first collegiate touchdown pass capped a 9-play, 83-yard drive.

Stony Brook came back on its first its next possession when Brock Jackolski ran 47 yards for a touchdown on its first play from scrimmage, giving the Seawolves a 14-10 advantage with 11:36 left in the half.

Following an interception, Stony Brook built a 20-10 lead when Miguel Maysonet scored on a 16-yard rum midway through the third quarter.

Bears' sophomore Mark Kachmer electrified the Brown crowd and silenced the Stony Brook faithful when he took the ensuing kickoff 91 yards for a touchdown to bring the Bears to within 20-17 of the Seawolves.

Junior Mel Farr registered his first career interception early in the fourth quarter to give Brown possession at the Stony Brook 24-yard line.  Norocea tied the game for the Bears, 20-20, with his second 30-yard field goal of the day with 9:55 left in the game.

Seniro Chimso Okoji made his first collegiate at linebacker for the Bears and responded with eight tackles, including a tackle for a loss and a quarterback sack.  Farr also finished with eight tackles and an interception, while junior Stephen Peyton registered six tackles.

The Bears will be back in action again next Saturday, hosting Harvard in the first-ever night game at Brown Stadium. Tickets are selling at a brisk pace for the historic night game, which kicks-off at 6:00 p.m.