Farnham’s TD Reception Lifts Brown To 14-7 Overtime Win Over Dartmouth

Farnham’s TD Reception Lifts Brown To 14-7 Overtime Win Over Dartmouth

Providence, Rhode Island - Brown senior wide receiver Buddy Farnham caught a 17-yard touchdown pass in overtime, and senior defensive end James Develin stopped Dartmouth for a two-yard loss on the final play of the game, to lift the Bears to a 14-7 overtime victory over the Big Green at rain swept Brown Stadium. The win assures the Bears of at least third place in the Ivy standings with a 6-3 overall record, 4-2 in Ivy play, while Dartmouth drops to 2-7 overall and 2-4 in Ivy play.

The Bears had an opportunity to win the game in regulation following a spectacular 33-yard punt return by Farnham that gave Brown possession at the Big Green 25-yard line with 31 seconds remaining. But Brown’s 33-yard field goal attempt on fourth down was blocked with five seconds remaining.

With the score tied, 7-7, after regulation, Dartmouth won the toss and elected to play defense first in overtime.

Bears’ junior quarterback Kyle Newhall-Caballero, the nation’s second leading passer, connected with seniorwide receiver Bobby Sewall on second down in overtime, bringing the ball to the Dartmouth 17 yard line.

Newhall-Caballero, who struggled throwing a waterlogged ball all day, saw Farnham break to the right pylon and delivered a 17-yard touchdown pass to Farnham, who caught the ball at the half-yard line and stretched into the end zone for the game-winning score, putting Brown up, 14-7.

Brown’s defense rose to the occasion on Dartmouth’s overtime possession, forcing a fourth and two at the Bears’ 16-yard line. Big Green freshman quarterback Greg Patton took the direct snap in the wildcat formation, but was immediately stopped by Develin for a two-yard loss, giving Brown the victory and setting off a jubilant Brown celebration.

“If a game came down to a Buddy Farnham touchdown in overtime, and a Jimmy Develin stop on defense, that’s a great way to end a career at home for two great senior players,” said Brown head coach Phil Estes. “Both play with passion, commitment and drive, and play the game the way it was meant to be. We have been blessed to have them for four years.”

The torrential rains pounding the Brown Stadium turf didn’t dampen the spirits of the Brown football team and its 22 seniors playing their final game at the historic field.

“I couldn’t imagine a better scenario on Senior Day,” said Develin. “To make a big play at the end of a game to help our seniors win a game is everything I’ve dreamed of at Brown.”

Bears’ sophomore tailback Spiro Theodhosi ran for over 100 yards for the second straight game, rushing for 138 yards on 33 carries, often dragging Big Green defenders along the way. Newhall-Caballero completed 20 of 44 passes for 179 yards.

Brown’s defense was the big story of the day, holding the Big Green to just 60 yards on the ground. Senior Kelley Cox led the Bears with eight total tackles, including two for a loss, while senior Brian Neff had six tackles and three tackles for a loss of 12 yards. Develin finished with two tackles for a loss and four tackles overall.

Dartmouth got on the scoreboard first on a 77-yard pass play late in the first quarter when Big Green quarterback Greg Patton tossed a screen pass to Michael Reilly, who broke a tackle at the Dartmouth 23-yard line and scampered down the visitors sideline into the end zone for a 7-0 lead.

Dartmouth held its lead at the half as the Brown offense struggled to get its offense moving, being held to 76 passing yards.

The Bears finally got some traction on its first possession of the second half. After taking possession at their own 29 yard line, Brown drove down the field and Theodhosi finally got into the end zone for the Bears, scoring on a two-yard run to tie the score, 7-7, to complete a 71- yard scoring drive with 5:05 left in the third quarter.

Brown concludes its 2009 season on the road on November 21, facing Columbia in New York City. Game time is 12:30 pm at Wein Stadium.