Crimson Outlasts Bears, 24-21

Crimson Outlasts Bears, 24-21

The heavyweight battle between last year’s Ivy League co-champions lived up to its advanced billing before a crowd of 17,262 at Harvard Stadium that included over 8,000 Brown revelers.  For the second consecutive week, Brown had an opportunity to win on the last play of the game, but came up short in a 24-21 loss to the Crimson.

Trailing 24-14 late in the fourth quarter, Bears’ quarterback Kyle Newhall tossed an 8-yard touchdown pass to senior Bobby Sewall with 32 seconds remaining to ignight a frenetic ending.  Sophomore Nate Lovett’s onside kick was recovered by the Bears’ Chimso Okoji at the Brown 43 yard line and the Bears were back in the game.  

Newhall drove the Bears to the Harvard 25 -ard line with 10 seconds remaining following his 14-yard run and a 14 yard completion to senior Trevan Samp.  Newhall made two stabs to get the Bears into the end zone, but both passes were broken up, the last try with no time left on the clock.

“Two weeks in a row we had a chance to win on the last play,” said Bears’ head coach Phil Estes. “We’re this close to being 2-0 after playing two very good teams.”

Sewall registered three touchdowns for the Bears, two on runs and one via the pass.  He caught eight passes for 92 yards and ran for another 17 yards.  Newhall, who ran for a team high 50 yards, was pressured by the Crimson defense all day and completed 24 of 41 passes for 225 yards.

Following a scoreless first quarter, Brown got on the scoreboard first when Sewall capped off a 60-yard scoring drive with a two-yard run with 12:16 left in the second quarter, giving the Bears a 7-0 lead.

The Crimson didn’t wait long to answer, tying the game just 33 seconds later with a two-play, 60-yard scoring drive. The score came on a 30-yard pass from Collier Winters to Nick Schwartzkopf.

Sewall scored his second touchdown of the day on a one-yard run with 4:46 left in the quarter to give the Bears a 14-7 lead, but it was his effort on the prior play that set up his score. 

With a first down at the Harvard eight-yard line, Sewall took a direct snap and looked to run straight ahead.  With his lane blocked, Sewall turned outside where he was cornered by several Crimson defenders.  He made an inside move, and then turned to the outside where he dove to the one yard line.  Sewall scored on the next play, again out of the direct snap.

Harvard cut Brown’s halftime lead to 14-10 with a 25-yard field goal just before intermission. The Crimson took their first lead of the game with 4:46 left in the third quarter, scoring from three yards out following a 92-yard drive to grab a 17-14 advantage. Following an interception, Harvard extended its lead to 24-14 early in the fourth quarter.

Brown’s defensive effort was led by senior end James Develin, who made eight tackles, registered the Bears’ lone sack, and had a tackle for a loss.  Senior defensive tackle Michael Lemmons came through with seven tackles, while senior defensive back Chris Perkins and senior linebacker Kelly Cox made five tackles each.

Brown opens its home season next Saturday, October 3 against Rhode Island, in the 94th battle for the Governor’s Cup.  Game time is 12:30 p.m. at Brown Stadium. Brown alum and Rhode Island Governor Donald Carcieri ’69 will be on hand to present the Governor’s Cup to the winning team at the end of the game.