Men's Crew Edged by Northeastern in Varsity Eight

Men's Crew Edged by Northeastern in Varsity Eight
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brown men's crew picked up some impressive victories in the third varsity and second varsity races, but the Bears dropped a close battle to Northeastern in the varsity eight race as the two squads fought for the Dreissigacker Cup Saturday afternoon on the Seekonk River. 

The racing started with the varsity four under partly cloudy skies but a friendly light tailwind and mild temperatures. Brown was just a bit underpowered for the first 500 meters and spotted Northeastern a lead of about one seat of open water.  Through the middle of the race, The Brown crew held strong, working hard to get back on terms with their competition, but Northeastern had control of the race early and was able to fend off any attacks for the win.

The next race of the day was the third varsity event, with one boat from each team.  The opening strokes of the race showed little separation between the two boats, but by the beginning of the first 500, Northeastern had worked up a lead of about half a length on Brown. By the middle mark of the race, the lead had grown to almost seven seats. With a push halfway through the race, Brown began to close the gap. Little by little, Bruno inched up on Northeastern until with 500 meters to go, the two boats were dead level. Brown put in one last push and found the lead, and by the finish, the margin had switched to Brown by open water for the victory.

The junior varsity race showcased even more excitement, with three boats entered as the Brown freshmen moved into the second varsity event due to no freshmen counterpart. The opening strokes were fierce and more or less level, crossing the first 500 at a blistering pace. In the second 500, separation began to emerge, with the Brown JV establishing a lead for themselves and the Brown freshmen falling back. By the 1,000-meter mark, the Brown JV looked like they had the race in hand, and the Brown freshmen had spotted a one-seat lead for Northeastern. With 750 meters to go, the Brown freshmen fought back into the race, and started an early charge for the finish line. After the Brown JV crossed the finish line a few seconds ahead for the win, the two remaining boats battled for second. The flag indicated a photo finish, and only after the racing was complete it was it shown that the Brown freshmen had battled their way back from a full boat deficit to beat the Northeastern JV.

In the varsity eight, which was raced in high tide, Northeastern jumped out to a small lead of about two seats after the first 500 meters. Over the course of the next 1,000 meters, Northeastern was able to fend off Brown's challenges and held a generous lead of nearly seven seats, forcing the Bears to make a furious charge to the finish line. Seat by seat, Brown closed to gap to nearly pull even, but Northeastern held on just enough to take the win, as the final margin was just .4 seconds, or about a half a deck.

The Bears return to action on Saturday, April 27 when they visit Dartmouth at 9 a.m.

Varsity 8
Northeastern - 5:26.1
Brown - 5:26.5 

Second Varsity
Brown JV - 5:43.3
Brown Freshmen - 5:48.2
Northeastern - 5:48.3 

Third Varsity
Brown - 5:49.2
Northeastern - 5:52.2 

Varsity 4+
Northeastern - 6:55.9
Brown - 7:05.3