No. 2 Men's Crew Topped at No. 1 Washington

No. 2 Men's Crew Topped at No. 1 Washington

SEATTLE – Faced with choppy waters and rough conditions, No. 2 Brown men's crew and No. 1 Washington battled it out on Lake Washington in a matchup of two of the best programs from the two conferences most associated with rowing, but the Bears were edged by the Huskies Saturday morning on the Montlake Cut.

Despite a shortened racecourse due to the harsh conditions, the Brown varsity eight put up a strong fight in the most exciting race of the day, opening the race at a blistering pace as to be on terms with Washington after the opening strokes. The two crews locked horns for almost 1,000 meters before Washington put in a big move with 750 meters remaining. Bruno answered and held their ground, and it was only in the final 300 meters that Washington was able to crack an open water lead and win by just over three seconds. Washington finished at 5:12.68, while the Bears crossed at 5:15.97.

In the second varsity event, the Brown rowers were sandwiched between the Washington JV and 3V boats. The rowers in this lineup had raced here a year ago, and in that race, Washington immediately had a quick lead right at the start. At the beginning of race this time around, the Brown JV started the race at a blistering pace and were able to be even with Washington after the opening strokes. Brown and Washington traded blows for the first 1,000 meters of the race, but by 750 meters to go, Washington had cracked open a lead on Bruno for the win at 5:23.41, but it was hard fought and everyone went to the well to get to the finish line. Washington's "B" team finished at 5:27.65 to just barely edge the Bears at 5:29.60.

In the first race of the day, the Freshmen Eight, the starting line and first 250 meters of the race were experiencing significant chop and swells. The race was run, and soon after the start, the Brown crew was swept into the trough of a swell and off the racecourse. They were able to get back onto the course but were significantly behind by that point and were unable to get back on terms with Washington.  Due to this mishap, it was decided to start the following races 250 meters into the racecourse.

The freshmen were granted another race at the end of the day due to the starting line debacle. The Bears had a strong start but were unable to stay with the Washington freshmen as the race went on as the Huskies won at 4:25.07.

The Bears return to action on Saturday, April 13 when they visit Harvard at 7:30 a.m.

Men's F8 (#1)
1) Washington (5:57.28)
2) Brown (6:25.63) 

Men's 2V8 (1750 Meters)
1) Washington "A" (5:23.41)
2) Washington "B" (5:27.65)
3) Brown (5:29.60) 

Men's V8 (1750 M)
1) Washington (5:12.68)
2) Brown (5:15.97) 

Men's F8 (#2) (1500 M)
1) Washington (4:25.07)
2) Brown (4:39.34)