McAndrew Leads Brown To Third Straight Win, 68-52, Over New Hampshire

McAndrew Leads Brown To Third Straight Win, 68-52, Over New Hampshire

Dec. 6, 2007

Providence, RI - Senior Mark McAndrew scored a game high 19 points and senior Mark MacDonald added 10 points as Brown led from start to finish to earn its third straight win, a 68-52 victory over New Hampshire at the Pizzitola Sports Center. The win lifts the Bears to 5-3 overall, while New Hampshire falls to 3-5.

Brown came out of the gate on fire, scoring 20 of the game's first 22 points to grab a 20-2 lead over the Wildcats with 11:49 left in the half on a three-point basket by junior Scott Friske. The Bears kept up the pressure and built a 23-4 lead on a trey by freshman Peter Sullivan with 7:25 left in the first half.

A tenacious Brown defense held the Wildcats were held to just seven-percent shooting from the field (1 of 14) in the game's opening 13 minutes.

The Bears held a 33-18 lead at intermission and quickly built their lead back up to 19 points, 44-25, on a lay-up by freshman Adrian Williams with 12:50 remaining in the game.

New Hampshire drew to within 12 points of the Bears, 56-44, on a trey by Tyrece Gibbs with 5:21 remaining, but the Bears quickly built the lead back to 19 points, 63-44 on a Chris Skrelja lay-up with 3:34 left to play.

McAndrew's 19 points came on 6 of 10 shooting from the field, including 3 of 7 from behind the three point arc. MacDonald had 10 points on 3 of 6 shooting from the field and 4 of 4 shooting from the free throw line.

Sullivan's nine points came on perfect 3 of 3 shooting from behind the three-point arc. He also grabbed four rebounds. Friske was also a standout for the Bears with 7 points and a game high eight rebounds, while sophomore Matt Mullery scored seven points and grabbed four rebounds.

The Wildcats were led by Alvin Abreu with 14 points, while Gibbs and Mike Christiansen added 10 points each.

Brown will play its fifth game in 11 days on Sunday, battling Providence College at the Dunkin Donuts Center, December 9th, starting at 7:30 p.m. Following the game, the Bears will break for semester exams for 13 days and return to the hardwood on December 22nd against Hartford.