Brown Falls To Providence In Overtime, 77-72

Desmond Cambridge '21
Desmond Cambridge '21

Providence, R.I. -  Brown knew it needed a Titanic effort to compete with perennial Big East power Providence College. Coach Mike Martin's Brown team held the lead for over 33 minutes in a strong effort, sending the game into overtime, before falling to the Friars, 77-72, at the Dunkin Donuts Center.


Brown freshman Desmond Cambridge (Nashville, TN) scored a career high 19 points and grabbed six rebound, while sophomore Brandon Anderson (Mahwah, NJ) also tossed in 19 points for the Bears, who fell to 4-5 on the season. Providence improved to 7-2 with the win.


Trailing by three points late in regulation, Brown freshman Tamenang Choh (Lowell, MA) drove the lane with 15.6 seconds left, made the layup and tied it with a free throw to complete the three-point play and send the game into overtime, 68-68.


In overtime, two Anderson free throws gave Brown a 70-68 advantage, but the Friars came right back with a 5-0 run to grab a 73-70 lead with two free throws by Rodney Bullock with 2:55 remaining.


Bears' sophomore Zach Hunsaker (Orem, UT) connected on two free throws with 2:38 left cut the Friars lead to 73-72.


The Friars iced the game by connecting on 4-of-4 free throws down the stretch, two by Buillock and two more by Kyron Cartwright, to put the game away.


Bears' senior guard Obi Okolie (Ajax, Ontario) also scored in double figures with 10 points, while freshman Matt DeWolf (Barrington, RI) grabbed a career high eight rebounds. Hunsaker finished with nine points and seven rebounds.


Bullock paced five Providence double figure scorers with a game high 21 points, just missing a double-double with nine rebounds. Makai Ashton Langford and Alpha Diallo added 11 points each for the Friars.


The game was even on the backboards, with both teams grabbing 42 rebounds. Shooting was also similar, with both teams shooting 39-percent from the field.


The Bears opened the game by attacking the basket and utilizing aggressive defense to build a 22-13 lead following a trey by Anderson with 11:36 left in the first half. Brown hit nine of its first 11 field goals to grab the nine-point lead.


Brown built a 10-point lead, 33-23, with 4:12 left in the half on another Anderson trey, and took a 40-28 lead into the locker room at halftime on a long trey by Okolie with 53 seconds left in half.


Brown led by as many as 15 points, 43-28, on a Cambridge trey to open the second half.  The Friars battled back to take their first lead, 55-54, with 8:14 remaining on an Ashton-Langford layup.


The Bears tied the game, 62-62, on an Anderson layup with 2:03 left that was sparked by a Cambridge blocked shot at the other end.


Back came the Friars to take a 64-62 lead on a Diallo layup, and extended their lead to four points, 67-63 on a Lindsey trey.


Two free throws by Cambridge cut the Friars lead to 67-65, with 32 seconds left.


Ashton Langford connected on one of two free throws for a 68-65 Providence lead with 27 seconds left on the clock.


Brown wraps-up its first semester on Saturday, December 9, hosting UMass Lowell at the Pizzitola Sports Center, starting at 2:00 pm. The Bears will break for 13 days for final exams following the game.