Brown Falls In Double Overtime To Marist, 84-83, At Hall of Fame Shootout

Brown Falls In Double Overtime To Marist, 84-83, At Hall of Fame Shootout

Uncasville, Conn. -  Khallid Hart scored seven of his game-high 37 points in the second overtime, including two free throws with 11 seconds remaining, to lift Marist to an 84-83 win over Brown at the Hall of Fame Shootout held at the Mohegan Sun Arena.


In the second overtime, Brown led by four points, 83-79, with 53 seconds remaining following a lay-up by sophomore Justin Massey (Cooper City, FL). Hart's trey cut the Brown lead to one point and his two free throws provided the margin of victory for the Red Foxes.


With Brown clinging to a 62-60 lead in regulation, Marist tied the game on a coast-to-coast lay-up by Hart with 12 seconds remaining, sending the game into overtime.


In the first overtime, Brown senior forward Cedric Kuakumensah (Worcester, MA) gave Brown a 64-62 lead on its first possession, but Kentrall Brooks answered for the Red Foxes with a three-point play and a 65-64 lead.


Marist responded to build a six-point lead in overtime, 74-68, on six points by Brian Parker and a trey by Kristinn Palsson.


Back-to-back treys by Brown juniors Tavon Blackmon (Upper Marlboro, MD) and JR Hobbie (Spring Lake, NJ) sent the game into double overtime, 74-74.


Kuakumnsah was named Brown's Outstanding Player of the Hall of Fame Shootout with a double-double, scoring a team-high 21 points, while grabbing 12 rebounds.


In addition, Massey posted a double-double for the Bears with career highs in points (15) and rebounds (10). Junior forward Steven Spieth (Dallas, TX) had 16 points, eight rebounds and seven assists, while Blackmon had 14 points and nine assists. Hobbie was Brown's fifth double figure scorer with 14 points.


Hart's 37 points came on 11-of-23 shooting from the field, including 11-of-12 from the free throw line. Parker chipped in with 13 points for the Red Foxes.


After eight lead changes in the opening 14 minutes, Brown held a 23-17 advantage with 5:52 left in the half on two free throws by Spieth.


Defensively, the Bears pressured the Red Foxes into 29-percent shooting in the opening 20 minutes (10-of-34).  Brown finished strong at the end of the half with Hobbie connecting on a trey with nine seconds left for a 32-25 lead at intermission.


Brown led by as many as nine points in the early going of second half, 37-28, following a Spieth lay-up.


Marist immediately answered with a 15-4 run to take a 43-41 lead with 11:26 remaining on a trey by Paulsson.


The Bears dug in and mounted a comeback and took the lead, 45-43, on a lay-up Blackmon. A trey by Hobbie gave the Bears a 58-51 at the 3:53 mark of the second half.


Marist came back and pulled to within two points, 62-60, on two free throws by Hart.


The Bears are back in action at home on Monday, December 28 against Bethune-Cookman.  Tip-off is 7:00 pm at the Pizzitola Sports Center.