Kuakumensah Sets Ivy Career Blocks Record, Brown Toppled By Georgetown, 74-57

Kuakumensah Sets Ivy Career Blocks Record, Brown Toppled By Georgetown, 74-57

Washington, D.C. - Brown senior forward Cedric Kuakumensah '16 (Worcester, MA) became the greatest shot blocker in Ivy League history when he swatted away his 253rd career blocked shot against Georgetown, but the Bears were unable to overcome an early deficit, falling to the Hoyas, 74-57 at the Verizon Center.


Brown falls to 3-6 on the season, while Georgetown improves to 5-3.


"I have a ton of respect for Georgetown, who is seven points away from being 8-0," said Brown head coach Mike Martin.  "I have great respect for coach John Thompson, who was coaching at Princeton when I was a player at Brown."


Kuakumensah broke the previous mark of 252 blocks by Dartmouth's Brian Gilpin from 1993-1997.  The historic blocked shot came early, with 16:33 left in the opening half, a prodigious block that was sent into the stands. Brown University will recognize Kuakumensah's milestone on January 30 at home against Penn with Gilpin in attendance.


Junior forward Steven Spieth (Dallas, TX) battled longer Georgetown team in the paint and posted a double-double, scoring all of his 13 points in the second half, while grabbing a game high 13 rebounds.


Bears' junior guard Tavon Blackmon (Upper Marlboro, MD), who played at nearby Gonzaga High School, scored 11 points and dished out five assists in 37 minutes of play. Junior JR Hobbie (Spring Lake, NJ) chipped in with 10 points for the Bears.


Georgetown had three double figure scorers and was led by LJ Peak, who tossed in 13 points. Bradley Hayes and D'Vauntes Smith Rivera each added 12 points for the Hoyas, with Hayes completing the double-double with 11 rebounds.


Georgetown jumped out to a 24-4 lead to open the game and never looked back.  The cold shooting Bears hit just 2 of their first 16 shots at the game's outset.


The Hoyas kept up the pressure and expanded their lead to 31 points at the half, 46-15. The Bears shot 23-percent for the half (7-of-30), while Georgetown shot at a 57-percent clip (17-of-30). Smith Rivera scored 10 points to pace Georgetown, connecting on 4-of-6 first half field goals.


"We couldn't be any worse in the first half, but all the credit goes to Georgetown for their effort," said Martin.


Brown settled down and battled to within 17 points, 72-55, in the second half following a tip-in by junior Aram Martin with 1:37 left in the game.


Brown returns to the hardwood after a 15-day break for final exams on December 22 against Marist at the Hall of Fame Shootout, held at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn. Tip-off is 6:30pm.