Brown Struggles In Overtime, Falls To Yale, 76-64

Brown Struggles In Overtime, Falls To Yale, 76-64

New Haven, Conn. – Brown had an opportunity for its second straight win over Yale at the end of regulation, but had little left in the tank for overtime, falling to the Bulldogs by a 76-64 margin in an Ivy league game at the John J. Lee Amphitheater. 


Yale (7-12, 1-1 Ivy) senior Austin Morgan scored seven of his 16 points in overtime to lead the Elis. The Bears (7-8, 1-1 Ivy), who were looking to sweep the Bulldogs after a win last week, had their three--game winning streak snapped.


Bears' junior forward Tucker Halpern tied the game, 58-58, when he connected on two free throws with 55-seconds left in the regulation.


Brown junior Sean McGonagill grabbed a rebound with 18 seconds remaining and Bears' head coach Mike Martin called timeout with 11.4 seconds left in regulation. Senior guard Stephen Albrecht had a chance to win it for the Bears with 2.3 seconds remaining, but his trey was off the mark and the game went into overtime.


Brown hit a cold spell in overtime and seemed to run out of gas, connecting on just 2 of 8 field goal attempts. Yale held the lead for the entire overtime period, taking the lead for good, 61-58, on a Morgan trey.


"We allowed Yale to dictate to us what we did, both offensively and defensively, in the first half," said Martin, whose team trailed by 10 points at intermission.  "We dug ourselves a big hole and never recovered."


Brown was in foul trouble throughout the game with its starting big men, sophomore Rafael Maia and freshman Cedric Kuakumensah, getting into foul trouble.  Both had three fouls at the half and picked up their fourth foul early in the second half.


The end result had Yale out-rebounding Brown by a 47-34 margin.


Despite foul trouble, Kuakumensah paced the Bears with 13 points, four rebounds and three blocked shots.  He connected on 4-of-6 field goals. 


Senior guard Matt Sullivan also scored 13 points on 3-of-6 shooting from behind the three-point arc, while also pulling down a team high six rebounds.  With three treys, Sullivan now has 145 career treys, moving past coach Martin into seventh place on Brown's all-time list.


Halpern and McGonagill chipped in with 10 points each for the Bears.


Yale's Justin Sears led all scorers with 18 points, while also grabbing a game-high eight rebounds.  Austin's 16 points came on 4-of-6 shooting from behind the three-point arc.


Brown actually came out of the gate with some intensity, building an 8-0 lead to start the game following a lay-up by Rafael Maia. The Bulldogs settled down and answered with a 10-0 run of their own to grab a 10-8 advantage at the 14 minute mark of the opening half.


Brown scored just 13 points in the next 17 minutes of the half and trailed, 31-21, at intermission.


Brown cut the Yale lead to four points, 34-30, with 17 minutes left in the game, but both Kuakumensah and Maia picked up their fourth fouls.


The Bears clawed back to within one point, 40-39, on a trey by McGonagill, but quickly trailed again, 48-41, on a Sears field goal with 9:19 left to play.


With the Bears' big men in foul trouble and Maia out of the game on fouls, the Brown guards stepped up their play. Matt Sullivan's trey with 1:50 left tied the game, 56-56. Nick Victor gave the Bulldogs a 58-56 lead on a basket with 1:10 remaining, just beating the shot clock.


Brown continues its five-game road trip next weekend, stopping off in Hanover, NH, to face Dartmouth on Friday, February 1, and then heading south to face Harvard on Saturday, February 2 in Boston, Mass.  Both games are scheduled to tip-off at 7:00 p.m.