Brown Falters In Overtime, Falls To St. Francis, 76-72

Brown Falters In Overtime, Falls To St. Francis, 76-72

Providence, R.I. - Junior Ben Mockford hit back-to-back treys in overtime to spark a 10-1 St. Francis (NY) run and lead the Terriers to a 76-72 overtime win over Brown at the Pizzitola Sports Center. The loss drops Brown to 2-3 overall, while St. Francis evens its record at 2-2.


Brown freshman forward Cedric Kuakumensah sent the game into overtime with a rebound and lay-up with 33 seconds left on the clock.  Brett Jones tried to win it for the Terriers, but his shot with two seconds left in regulation was rejected by Bears' sophomore forward Rafael Maia to send the game into overtime.


In overtime, junior guard Sean McGonagill opened the scoring with a trey to give the Bears a 63-60 lead. Ben Mockford tied it for St. Francis with a trey at 63-63 on its next possession, and his second trey of the overtime period gave St. Francis the lead for good, 66-64. A layup by Jalen Cannon and four straight points by Kevin Douglass put the Terriers in the lead by a 71-64 margin to cap off a 10-1 St. Francis run.


"We weren't ready to play in the first 20 minutes," said Brown head coach Mike Martin.  "We showed signs of effort in the second half, but against a good team you have to play for the full 40 minutes."


McGonagill led the Bears with 23 points and five assists, while senior guard Matt Sullivan scored a season high 20 points, while grabbing five rebounds.


Kuakumensah put together his second consecutive double-double with 10 points and a game high 12 rebounds for the Bears, and Maia, the Ivy league's leading shooter, scored 11 points on 5 of 6 shooting from the field, and pulled down nine rebounds.


Cannon led the Terriers with 20 points on torrid 10-of-12 shooting from the field.  Douglas tossed in 17 points, while Mockford finished with 14 points.


With Bears' junior All-Ivy forward Tucker Halpern on the sideline with a foot issue, Brown fell behind by as many as 18 points in the opening half, 38-20, on a trey by Mockford with 2:20 remaining. 


The Terriers held a 40-26 advantage at intermission on sizzling 65-percent shooting from the field (17 of 26), while connecting on 6-of-10 shots from behind the three-point arc.


The Bears made a furious second half comeback and cut the St. Francis lead to one point, 45-44, on a trey by sophomore Joe Sharkey with 11:40 left in the game.


Maia tied the game for the Bears, 51-51, on a conventional three-point play with 6:55 left, and his layup with 6:10 on the clock gave Brown its first lead, 53-51.


McGonagill expanded Brown's lead to four points with 4:57 remaining, giving the Bears a 55-51 advantage.


A trey by Mockford and a free throw by Akeem Johnson at the 3:25 mark tied the game, 55-55.


Keith Douglas nailed a trey for St. Francis at the 2-minute mark to give the Terriers a 58-55 lead, but Sullivan tied it for the Bears with a trey with 1:35 remaining. A short jump shot by Jones gave St. Francis a 60-58 advantage, before Kuakumensah sent the game into overtime.


Brown concludes a three-game home stand on Thursday, November 29, hosting Sacred Heart at the Pizzitola Sports Center, starting at 7:00 p.m.