Sacred Heart Outlasts Brown, 77-64

Sacred Heart Outlasts Brown, 77-64
Fairfield, Conn. – Brown's furious second half rally came up short as the Bears fell to Sacred Heart, 77-64, Sunday afternoon.  Shane Gibson scored all of his team high 16 points in the second half to lead the Pioneers, while Bears' sophomore Stephen Albrecht netted a career high 23 points.

The loss drops the Bears to 3-4 overall heading into Wednesday's home game against Rhode Island, while Sacred Heart moves to 4-3 overall.


Brown clawed back from a 15-point first half deficit to trail at the half, 35-27.  The Bears came out with a vengeance in the second half and pulled ahead by three points, 54-51, at the 10:12 mark of the second half on Albrecht's fifth trey of the afternoon.


Sacred Heart outscored the Bears, 13-1, over the next four minutes to take control of the game, 64-55, on a jump shot by Shane Gibson with 4:36 remaining. 


Albrecht, who registered a career scoring high for the second straight game, connected on 6 of 12 shots from behind the 3-point arc, and 8 of 17 field goals overall.  His six treys are 10th best in Brown basketball history.


Sophomore Sean McGonagill scored in double figures with 13 points and five assists, while junior guard Matt Sullivan chipped in with 10 points.


Gibson's 16 points came on 6 of 10 shooting from the field and 4 of 4 free throw shooting.  Louis Montes tossed in 13 points, while Justin Swidowski had 10 points and a game high nine rebounds for Sacred Heart.


The first eight minutes were evenly played with neither team leading by more than three points. Brown held a 15-13 lead at the 13:09 mark of the first half, after a jump shot by Sullivan.


The Bears were held to just one basket over the next eight-plus minutes as Sacred Heart went on an 18-2 to open up a 31-17 advantage with 4:55 left in the half following a lay-up by Stan Dulaire.


Steve Glowiak gave the Pioneers their biggest lead, 35-20, on a lay-up with 2:20 left in the half. 


The Bears clawed back into the game on a 7-0 run to end the half on a trey by senior Jean Harris, a free throw by freshman Christian Gore and a trey by Albrecht with eights seconds left, to trail at intermission, 35-27.

A determined Brown squad came out in the second half and quickly cut the Sacred Heart lead to four points, 37-33, following a four-point play by Albrecht, who was fouled on a trey and converted the free throw.


Another four-point play by the Bears, this time by Sullivan on a trey and a foul, cut the Sacred Heart advantage to one point, 41-40, with 15:52 left to play.


Brown grabbed its first lead of the second half, 49-48, when Albrecht connected on a jump shot with 12:08 remaining.  The Bears kept up the pressure and pulled ahead by three points, 54-51, on an Albrecht trey.


The Bears will be back in action again on Wednesday, November 30, hosting Rhode Island in the 153rd meeting between the two Ocean State schools.  The game will be televised live on myRITV, with tip-off scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at the Pizzitola Sports Center