Albrecht’s 22 Points Leads Brown Over Monmouth, 79-71, In NIT Season Tip-Off

Albrecht’s 22 Points Leads Brown Over Monmouth, 79-71, In NIT Season Tip-Off

Fairfax, VA - Sophomore Stephen Albrecht scored a season high 22 points and sophomore Sean McGonagill added 18 points as Brown evened its record at 3-3 overall with a 79-71 win over Monmouth in the consolation round of the NIT Season Tip-Off at the Patriot Center.  The loss drops Monmouth to 0-5 on the season.


Albrecht, who sat out all of last season after transferring to Brown from Toledo, turned in a complete performance for the Bears, scoring 22 points by connecting on 8 of 13 field goals, including 4 of 8 shooting from behind the three-point arc.  He also had three assists and three rebounds for the Bears.


McGonagill continued his strong play with 18 points on 7 of 11 shooting from the field, while handing out a game high eight assists.  Juniors Matt Sullivan and Andrew McCarthy also scored in double figures for the Bears with 13 points each, with Sullivan connecting on 5 of 11 field goals, and McCarthy hitting 5 of 7 shots from the field, while grabbing five rebounds.


Monmouth's Andrew Nicholas scored 24 first half points, but the Bears held him scoreless in the second half. Phil Wait also scored in double figures with 13 points, while pulling down a game high 9 rebounds.


After shooting just 20-percent from behind the three-point arc last night against George Mason, the Bears redeemed themselves by hitting 11 of 22 treys (50-percent) against the Hawks.   Overall, the Bears shot a torrid 61 percent from the field (30 of 49), while Monmouth shot 46-percent (29 of 63).


Brown jumped out to an initial 11-4 lead in the first four minutes, connecting on five its first six shots.  Albrecht and McGonagill scored five and four points, respectively, in Brown's fast start.


Monmouth grabbed its first lead of the game, 27-24, on a long trey by Nicholas with 10:28 left in the half.


The two teams exchanged leads several times and the Bears pulled ahead by a 43-37 margin on a trey by Sullivan with 3:50 left in the first half.


The high scoring first half ended with Brown grabbing a 50-46 lead on a jump shot by junior Tyler Ponticelli with 21 seconds remaining.


Brown never relinquished its lead in the second half, but got a scare when Monmouth pulled to within one point, 68-67, on a lay-up by Mike Keitt with 2:36 remaining in the game.


The Bears answered with eight straight points – a McGonagill jump shot, and treys by Sullivan and Albrecht – to grab its biggest lead, 76-67 with 1:06 left in the game.


Brown will be back in action again on Sunday, November 27, traveling to Fairfield, Connecticut, to face Sacred Heart in a 2:00 p.m. game.