Bears Lose Pair of Two-Run Games to Dartmouth

Bears Lose Pair of Two-Run Games to Dartmouth

April 13, 2008

Box Score

Providence, RI - Despite a breakout day by freshman first baseman Pete Greskoff (Paoli, PA) the Brown baseball team (13-16, 5-7 Ivy) dropped a pair of games to first-place Dartmouth (17-10, 10-2 Ivy) on Sunday at Murray Stadium. The Bears' late-inning rally in game one came up short in a 9-7 loss, and Brown was unable to win despite scoring in seven out of nine innings in a 16-14 game two defeat.

Greskoff, who had gotten just 18 at-bats on the season entering Sunday's games, broke out in a big way, In game one, he accounted for the Bears' first six runs on two home runs, going 2-for-3 with six RBIs. He continued to slug the ball in game two, going 3-for-4 with two doubles, both of which could have been gone if the wind were blowing out, driving in two more runs and scoring twice more. He finished the day with 13 total bases in seven at-bats, raising his batting average 153 points to .320 and raising his slugging percentage 380 points to .880.

In the opener, the Big Green got out to a quick start, scoring four runs in the first inning on home runs by right fielder Nick Santomauro and center fielder Damon Wright. Greskoff got a pair back with a two-run shot to center in the bottom of the second, but Dartmouth got to senior Alex Silverman (Wilmington, NC) for three more runs in the fourth, chasing the Bears' starter after 3.1 innings.

Freshman Conor Burke (Andover, MA) entered in the fourth with a runner on second, and after a walk was able to get two strikeouts to end the rally. After a clean fifth, he gave up solo shots to Dartmouth third baseman Jason McManis and shortstop Erik Bell, making the score 9-2.

With things looking bleak, the Bears got some help from their guests in starting a rally. After McManis's poor throw on a double-play ball with one out put runners on first and second, freshman catcher Matt Colantonio (Garden City, NY) singled to load the bases for Greskoff. The big righty then delivered with a bomb to left for a grand slam, putting the Bears back in the game with one swing.

Dartmouth starter Robert Young was able to end that inning, but after allowing a single to junior center fielder Steve Daniels (Fox Point, WI) and a walk to senior utilityman Brian Kelaher (Farmington, CT) to start the seventh, he was lifted in favor of freshman closer Ryan Smith. Smith got a flyout for the first out, but senior designated hitter Conor Reardon (Branford, CT), who was 3-for-4, drove a single down the left field line to bring in Daniels and put runners on first and third. However, Smith got a double-play ball to end the game with the winning run at the plate and pick up his fifth save. Silverman took the loss, his first of the season, while Young got the win.

Dartmouth started quickly again in the second game, scoring two runs off Brown freshman Matthew Kimball (Nashville, TN) on just one hit and four walks, but the rookie righty was able to get out of a bases-loaded jam. The Bears then got a pair of runs in the second and another in the third to take a 3-2 lead.

However, the fourth was the first of two huge innings that made the difference for the Big Green. After two singles, Bell swatted his second home run of the day to chase Kimball from the game after 3.1 innings. Freshman Josh Feit (Woodcliff Lake, NJ) then entered, giving up three more runs before the inning ended for an 8-3 Dartmouth lead.

However, the Bears came right back, again with help from Dartmouth errors. After Dartmouth starter Chase Carpenter got two outs to start the fourth, sophomore right fielder Nick Puñal (Palm Beach, FL) singled, then was driven in on a Greskoff double to right-center that hit off the fence. After a walk, it appeared that a ground ball to third would end the inning, but Carpenter dropped the throw from first baseman Michael Pagliarulo, allowing the inning to continue. Senior utilityman J.J. Eno (Kahului, HI) capitalized on the mistake immediately, hitting a home run to right-center to bring four runs in and tie the game.

After a scoreless fifth, the Big Green batted around again in the sixth. Feit allowed singles to the first two batters before giving way to freshman sidearmer Davis Wedgworth (Montgomery, AL). In his second appearance of the year, Wedgworth did not record an out, as four runs came in on two walks, a hit batter, a single, and a fielding error before sophomore lefty Matt Boylan (Danvers, MA) entered. Boylan allowed a sacrifice fly for the first out, then got a groundout and a strikeout to end the inning.

The Bears would score four runs in the final three innings, but Dartmouth got three to hold their hosts off and get the win. Carpenter got the win despite allowing 10 runs, six earned, in five innings of work. Smith pitched the final four innings, allowing four runs, one earned, and picking up his sixth save of the year. Feit got the loss in relief to fall to 0-3 on the year.

The Bears will hope to shake off the effects of their 1-3 weekend with several non-conference games this week. On Tuesday, the team will travel to Marist for a pair of games beginning at 2 p.m. Brown will return to Murray Stadium on Wednesday for a 3 p.m. game with Head Coach Marek Drabinski's alma mater, Connecticut.