Skiing Wins Two More Races to Remain Perfect on Season
GUNSTOCK MOUNTAIN/BLACKWATER SKI AREA – The Brown women's skiing team continued its strong start to the 2013 season, winning two more races over the weekend. After opening the year with a pair of slalom races, the Bears won their first giant slalom race of the season, held Friday at Gunstock Mountain. Brown returned to Blackwater Ski Area the next day and won its third slalom race of the season, sweeping the podium to lead the team field by nearly 10 seconds.
Brown earned a total team time of 4:39.81 in Friday's giant slalom, while Castleton State finished in second place with a time of 4:47.22. St. Anselm rounded out the top three with a team time of 4:47.54. In Saturday's slalom race, Brown posted a team time of 6:38.08, while St. Anselm was second (6:48.90) and Castleton State took third (6:49.12).
In Friday's giant slalom, sophomore Emma Leblanc (Darien, CT) led the team by winning both runs to finish with a total time of 1:31. 25. Senior Catherine Stewart (Stratton, VT) was second for the Bears, finishing in fourth overall (1:33.87), while sophomore Maria Mastanduno (Hanover, NH) had the third time for Brown, taking eighth overall (1:34.69). Freshman Yasemin Benker (Istanbul, Turkey) was ninth overall (1:34.75), while sophomore Amanda Engelhardt (Plymouth, NH) finished in 10th overall (1:35.28). Freshman Katie Liebowitz (Pound Ridge, NY) rounded out Brown's finishers in 12th place overall (1:35.63).
Brown dominated the slalom field on Saturday, earning a 1-2-3 finish, while the Bears' fourth skier finished in sixth. Sophomore Nika Mosenthal (Plymouth, NH) led the field with a two-run time of 1:38.21, while Leblanc took second with a two-run time of 1:38.41. Engelhardt rounded out the top three with a two-run time of 1:38.63. Mastanduno's two-run time of 1:39.27 was good for sixth place, while Stewart finished just outside the top 10 in 11th place (1:42.19). Benker rounded out Brown's finishers, taking 12th place with a two-run time of 1:42.80.
Brown continues action January 26-27 when it participates in the Clarkson Carnival, hosted by Whiteface Mountain.
Team Results – Friday Giant Slalom
1. Brown 4:39.81
2. Castleton State 4:47.22
3. St. Anselm 4:47.54
4. Clarkson 4:53.07
5. UMass 4:55.27
6. Smith 4:59.66
7. UConn 5:01.60
8. MIT 5:48.83
9. Babson NTS
Top 10 Individuals – Friday Giant Slalom
1. Emma Leblanc, Brown 1:31.25
2. Caitlin Forbes, St. Anselm 1:31.94
3. Lily Eriksen, Smith 1:32.64
4. Catherine Stewart, Brown 1:33.87
5. Francesca Robertson, Babson 1:33.91
6. Simona Croccolo, Castleton State 1:34.24
7. Monica Redente, St. Anselm 1:34.39
8. Maria Mastanduno, Brown 1:34.69
9. Yasemin Benker, Brown 1:34.75
10. Amanda Engelhardt, Brown 1:35.28
Team Results – Saturday Slalom
1. Brown 6:38.08
2. St. Anselm 6:48.90
3. Castleton State 6:49.12
4. Clarkson 6:55.00
5. UMass 7:10.36
6. UConn 7:24.57
7. Smith 7:46.84
8. MIT 8:36.80
9. Babson NTS
Top 10 Individuals – Saturday Slalom
1. Nika Mosenthal, Brown 1:38.21
2. Emma Leblanc, Brown 1:38.41
3. Amanda Engelhardt, Brown 1:38.63
4. Caitlin Forbes, St. Anselm 1:38.91
5. Monica Redente, St. Anselm 1:39.26
6. Maria Mastanduno, Brown 1:39.27
7. Lily Eriksen, Smith 1:39.80
8. Simona Croccolo, Castleton State 1:40.07
9. Ali Spencer, Castleton State 1:40.50
10. Jessica Kalled, Smith 1:41.63
Pictured: Emma Leblanc '15.