Mahoney & Alevi Qualify for NCAA Fencing Championship
March 15, 2007
Medford, MA - For the first time since 2003, Brown will send two fencers to the NCAA Championships. Senior tri-captain Dan Mahoney (Haydenville, MA) and freshman Randy Alevi (Old Westbury, NY) both earned trips to the national championship, held March 22-25 at Drew University in Madison, NJ. Both earned bids with a combination of top finishes at the NCAA Northeast Regionals, held Sunday at Tufts University and used as 60 percent of the formula for qualification, and strong overall seasons, which accounted for the other 40 percent.
Alevi had the top finish for Brown at Regionals, placing seventh in the women's sabre. She entered Sunday's event with the 10th-best record among fencers in her event, then improved upon that seeding to earn a spot on the tournament. In the men's sabre, Mahoney entered Sunday with the ninth-best record, and finished 11th. He received one of two recommendations for an at-large bid from the Northeast Region, and was selected for the national tournament.
Another pair of Brown fencers narrowly missed bids to the tournament. Sophomore Nick Bender (New York, NY) entered the men's foil field with the 11th-best record and earned a recommendation for an at-large bid with a 17th-place finish, but he was not selected. Sophomore Deborah Gorth (Amherst, MA) entered Saturday just behind Alevi with the 12th-best record, but finished 13th.
The last time the Bears sent two fencers to the tournament was 2003, when Paul Friedman '03 and Ruth Schneider '06 qualified in the sabre and epée, respectively. Schneider also qualified in 2004 and 2006, but was the only Brown fencer to do so.