Welcome To The Nelson Fitness Center, Moran Coleman Aquatics Center and Zucconi Strength and Conditioning Center
Providence, Rhode Island - The unofficial grand opening of Brown University’s Nelson Fitness Center, Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatics Center, the Dave Zucconi ’55 Strength and Conditioning Center and the Ittleson Quad will take place the week of April 16-20, with activities for students, faculty and staff. The new complex is located at the corner of Hope and Cushing streets, site of the former Smith Swim Center.
The official Corporation dedication is scheduled for Friday, May 25, during commencement weekend.
The project includes:
• The Moran Coleman Aquatics Center, featuring a 56-meter swimming pool for varsity competition and recreational use, three-meter diving, seating for 400 spectators overlooking the pool, and a state-of-the-art video HD scoreboard. A system of movable bulkheads will allow simultaneous activities by different groups and could increase recreational swimming time. The pool will be the fastest in the Northeast.
• The country’s largest solar-thermal installation, including 168 panels that will provide 10-percent of the building’s energy needs. The panels combine photovoltaic technology with solar thermal technology.
• The Nelson Fitness Center, with a 10,000-square-foot multipurpose fitness loft for students, faculty and staff, with 185 exercise machines.
• The David J. Zucconi ’55 Varsity Strength and Conditioning Center, a nearly 10,000-square-foot facility for varsity athletes and teams.
• The Ittleson Quadrangle, a large landscaped green space, replacing the parking lot in front of Meehan Auditorium and the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center.
• Three exercise studios, including a dedicated spin room.
• Offices for coaches and administrative staff.
• Varsity locker rooms for men’s and women’s swimming and diving and water polo teams.
• Dedicated locker rooms for men’s and women’s faculty.
• General use locker room for all men’s and women’s students and staff.
• Social space, including a lobby with café.